Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Paxil

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Paxil

I am new to this particular forum...I was just prescribed Paxil 20 mg a day (take at night) for OCD, Anxiety, PTSD etc.  I have only been on it for 3 days.  I have been ready more bad than good about the side effects; particularly the weight gain and the withdrawal symptoms.  I will  stop taking this medicine ASAP if I can a couple of lbs.  Does anyone have any positive things to say about Paxil or any other anti-depressant.  The doctor told me I may gain 1 lb in a yr.  I have read that people that were NEVER overweight have gained 20+ lbs...
Hello. I used to take Paxil and it does cause weight gain, but it helped me for a while. Now I take Lexapro. I think all antidepressants cause weight gain, they make me hungry, but they help control my thought life so I don't think bad thoughts all day long. So for a trade off with the side effects, it is worth it to me to keep taking it. For you, It's your choice. I can tell you that you will probably gain more than 1 pound a year with any antidepressent. So it's just up to you whether you think it will help you or not.
Thank you for sharing your experience.  I asked my psychiatrist for Lexapro but she said I needed something stronger.  A friend of mine just started on Lexapro and I am pissed that I was given Paxil; which is one of the older ones.  My therapist told me that the older ones caused the weight gain and the newer ones are much better.  I am going to ask for Lexapro and if she doesn't prescribe it I will get it from my PCP.  Oh, I am having trouble sleeping too due to this drug.  My friend said she has that too with the Lexapro but it will go away once you get used to it.

Thanks again,
TV
I used to have trouble sleeping on antidepressants so I take mine every morning instead of every night. It helps and worked so I sleep fine at night. If I take it at night, I can't sleep. You might try taking it in the morning if it's ok with your doctor.
I go back to the doc on Monday and will be discussing a lot with her.  I have been constipated now for the last 3 days as well which pisses me off because I didn't have that problem before.  I am still obsessing and upset over being prescribed Paxil as oppesed to Lexapro which is what I wanted...

luvox worked better than anything for me ( fluvoxamine maelate ) anti anxiolytic anti depressant, no weight gain