Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Peeling my lips

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Peeling my lips

hi everyone! I've been peeling on my lips ever since I was a child... At first, I thought I do it only when my lips are dry but I realized I just really have a bad habit of picking on it until it bleeds... Its painful but, I just can't seem to stop, I won't stop peeling it until I get rid of the scaly parts even though its becoming so painful... I do it even in public, at meetings, everywhere... I realized I don't even care if important people are in my front, like during hanging out with friends or even at a meeting with my boss.. My husband is becoming more and more concerned, because even if he tries to stop me and hold my hand, I just get to have the urge, as soon as he lets go of me... I can't stop it. I'm concerned about the way my lips already looked... but I'm more concerned with why this happens. I'm helpless, I get stressed out and uncomfortable if I don't get to pick on my lips... please help...
Hi Helen and welcome to the OCD Forum.  

You have one of the most common compulsions that people with OCD suffer and that is skin picking.  Now saying it is common does not mean I am trivializing it, only that a lot of people experience this same compulsion so you are definitely not alone.  This has become a habit and habits CAN be broken.  

Obviously it is really starting to bother you now because you have posted on this forum.  Your statement of " I can't stop it. I'm concerned about the way my lips already looked... but I'm more concerned with why this happens. I'm helpless, I get stressed out and uncomfortable if I don't get to pick on my lips" means that it is now time to get some outside help.  I'm sure your husband would even go with you if you wanted him to.  

The best place to start is a psychologist that specializes in CBT which is cognitive behavioral therapy.  They will diagnose you problem, which you know is OCD, and then help you with strategies to stop the picking.  They also may suggest you talk to a psychiatrist about medication options.  A lot of times the CBT/medication combination is effective.  But in your case, I think you need to start with the CBT first and go from there.  

Here is a website where you can search for a psychologist in your state that specializes in CBT.  

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

Best of luck and keep me posted how things are going for you.