Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Racing thoughts

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Racing thoughts

I've been through some struggles in my life like a really really stressful relationship that tore me up, and my grandpa and a good friend passing away and the daily stress of being behind in my self directed school I attend, and dealing with certain situations and being socially awkward, and everyday for as long as I can remember I've had obsessive racing thoughts. I think about almost all the same things daily or a variation of the same thing daily and thousands of thoughts race through my head at all hours of the day. Sometimes not even full thoughts, just a part of one then I jump onto another thought, then another and so on. I can not focus and have trouble remembering things, such as if someone tells me something, ill have thoughts going through my head, and almost instantly forget what they said unless I really try hard to focus because I know I need to. I always worry about what other people are going to think of me, that's what a good chunk of my thoughts are about, and I find that I'm just always thinking of something, every second of the day so I'm never really enjoying my day or life. I find it very hard to focus in school because I go to a school where I teach myself the work, and as soon as I try to begin, I'm Immediately flooded with a bunch of thoughts and get side tracked very easily thinking of other things. This also happens when listening to music and trying to sleep. It's becoming really bothersome and I don't know if I can control it at all. A good way to describe it would be that i feel like I'm trapped inside my own head and I can not escape my thoughts no matter what i do. I'm very private about my feelings so I haven't told anyone about this or how I feel, I usually just bottle up whatever emotions come and act as if everything is alright. I'm not on any medications and haven't talked to any doctors about this. Do you know what might be wrong with me ? I really need help. It's becoming a huge struggle
Tags: racing thoughts, worry, stress, Can't escape, struggle
Don't know if I posted this in the wrong spot, I'm new to this website. Just trying to seek the right help
There is a difference between racing thoughts, irrational thoughts, and the inability to focus.  My son has ADHD and if I gave him a task such as getting his dishes from the other room, he would find a million other things to do in between and never get the dishes.  Does that sound like you?  Also, untreated ADHD can make a person feel socially awkward.  It's kind of hard to have a conversation with someone if you are thinking about something else.  To be honest with you, I believe I have it as well since there is an ever ongoing dialog in my head.  Since you haven't been diagnosed with either ADD/ADHD or OCD, I would suggest you post what you wrote above on the ADHD forum.  Sandman is very good.  He used to be a school principal and teacher and he knows his stuff about ADHD.  So post there and let's see what he has to say.  In the end, it is a really good idea to see a psychologist to get a diagnosis because these two disorders are things that don't go away but rather they are managed and right now you have no idea what's up.  Take care.