Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Scalp Picking

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Scalp Picking

This winter I discovered what my bad habit is called, I had realized that I would scalp pick more than ever. I've had this habit (well that I can recall of) since I was 14, I am now about to be 17. It is not as bad as it was getting, perhaps because I am now much more aware of it now that I've read and done some research. I don't go into details with my friends and family about it, I feel as though it'll gross them out, so they haven't been able to offer much help. When I was younger my hair was not as oily as it has become, I don't know if this is due to constant use of heat styling products, scalp picking, or well both. I doubt I could have OCD, but I've always been inclined to bad habits, when I stop one it's because it would be replaced with another. When I was a toddler/baby I would suck my thumb, also when I was around 9 or 10 (well this is when I remember) I would pick my belly button. I then substituted belly button picking for nail biting, which was around my middle school years. I would always wonder how I stopped consistently biting my nails, until I realize it was because of scalp picking. There are rare times where I still pick my belly button, and sometimes I still bite my nails. Those are not even close to how often I pick my scalp, which is throughout the entire day. I try not to do so around people, I do it so it simply looks like I am running my fingers through my hair. There are times while I am at school and I can't wait to go home to scalp pick, because I try to limit doing so around others. I like to first just rub the scab, then of course pick at it, and then it get out of my hair and just feel it in my fingers. I've noted that to me it feels relaxing, which is why I continue to do it. All this sounds really gross and is really gross, but this feels like the only I can vent about it. I just really want to know if anyone can help, any suggestions?
maybe its trichi.. i have trichi but i pull the hair out.. and eyelashes and eyebrows :(. dont let it lead to that. its even worse and gross! D:
its not as bad as it was.. but maybe its a phase? like the thumb sucking.. and the bellybutten picking. maybe it will go. sometimes people have phases. and things come and go. ive had this since i was 13/14 now though. its just boring D: im 18 now it apears to be worse in the summer i think.. than the winter.. godknows why. x
I have something similar although instead of just picking at my scalp, I also pull hair out (it used to be eyelashes and now it's my actual hair) but I found that trying to do something else (that requires both hands) when you feel like picking helps me sometimes. I don't know if your urges are stronger than mine or what, but that helps me. For example: I'm texting this on my phone and i'm having the urge to pick but since I'm texting I cannot and I can sit the rest of the urge out.
I use to suck my thumb, up until like age 11 and sometimes I still have the urge at 20. It's embarrassing, but it's all coping mechanisms. I then went to nail biting and scab picking. I use to scratch my moms hair when I use to brush it and braid it because she had really oily skin so I could literally scrape off her dead skin and that was really soothing to me. I then started scratching my own head and would cause scabs sometimes even which would cause me to scratch them more. I now scratch my boyfriends head because he likes it sometimes, but other times I'm physically hurting him because I get lost in such a trance like state that I don't even realize I'm doing it : / I feel so anxiety ridden and like neeeeed to scratch something. I use to have so many scars and scabs and finally my skin looks somewhat pretty, minus the scars, but I don't want to add any more nor do I want to inflict it on my lover.  :(
You have opened my eyes! I'm 34 yrs old & I've been doing the exact ritual as you. Down to how you get it your fingers and just feel it. Give Brought tears to my eyes because I've been doing it since I was 13. It started when I got lice as a teen. I was so scared of getting lice again that I started picking at anything that felt like a bug...when my dry scalp. Now I noticed that I do it when I'm stressing. With a full time job, part time school & full time parent & wife, I stress a lot. I need to talk to someone. I just don't know who. Thank you.