Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Should I quit my job or face my fears?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Should I quit my job or face my fears?

Hello there,
I'm really grateful that I found a place where someone can understand what I feel.
I have been diagnosed with OCD when I was 19 year old, now I'm 29.
I am currently on fluoxetine 40 mg. the problem is I work in a hospital, and if just feel Bad all the day until I get back home.
For example, yesterday I got finger cut by a paper that was placed on a surface that I noticed a dried blood spot on it.
I panicked, and I am still anxious that what if that blood spot was infected with HIV or Hepatitis C?! What if I caught it?
I can't tell this to anyone because they will just laught at me.

I couldn't sleep last night and can't eat, I know the that the chances are low and who said that the blood is infected anyway.. However, I can't get this idea of my head.

Plz help!
First of all, talk to your prescribing physician. 40 mg is generally not a therapuetic dosage for Prozac treatment for OCD. It is 60 to 80mg or sometimes more. Secondly, you need to get some exposure/response prevention therapy. Find a provider that knows this treatment. Go to this site to look for someone qualified in your area.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/

Read everything you can to educate yourself about the OCD monster, and get treatment to learn how to live with it, as it will be an unwanted roommate for the rest of your life, but one you can co exist with in relative peace.

And for heaven's sake! Quit your job? You think you are upset and depressed now? What would it be like to be unemployed, sit at home, not have an income and have time to ritualize? Of course not! You would sink pretty fast into a much worse state. Don't let the monster take over any more of your life than it has, and get therapy and on a proper dosage of Prozac (determined by your dr. of course) and start taking your life back!
Thank you for your reply. I really needed someone to talk to.

I'll have a look at the website you've sent me and check with my prescriber about increasing the dose.

I just feel overwhelmed about the incident that has happned yesterday and hate myself that I can't get it out of my head.
You CAN'T get it out of your head, that is the problem. You have to accept it being in your head, and it will lose its power. The longer you try and the harder you try to get rid of it, the stronger it will rebound. You are training your brain to notice this thought as an extremely important thought. You may get HIV or Hep C. Unlikely, since not many people have it, and that person would have had to be there, and left blood that was infected. Yup, you may get it all right, but you may also be run over by a bus today, have your house burn down, get struck by lightening, have a giant rock fall on your head, why aren't you worried about all that as well?
Checking back to see is you have made contact with your dr. and found a therapist.
i see that Carol checks on everyone except me !!!!

bad luck for me ?
Uh, I believe I emailed you privately several times (so that wasn't called for). So how are you doing? Have you found a therapist?
Hi Carol,

Thank you for checking on me, really THANK YOU, I do appreciate it.

My doctor advised to increase the dose of Prozac to 60 but didn't say anything about a CBT.

I was having lunch in the hospital where I work yesterday and devolved anaphylaxis reaction which was certainly allergy to certain food ingredient I was eating, and despite I was in a life threatening condition,  and was given adrenalin and hydrocortisone to open up my airways, all I was thinking of ( and till this very moment) is that the doctor who was removing my cannula upon discharge, his finger was covered with a dried blood spot , he was dealing with another patient before he came to me and all I'm thinking of now is could he gave me HIV or Hep C without knowing from the previous patient? And why didn't he wash his hand before removing my cannula?!
Well CBT is the way to go, meds are only good for as long as you take them. Go to the IOCF website, and try to find a therapist in your area.
oh, and sorry about your scary experience with the reaction yesterday, yikes!