Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Slight OCD?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Slight OCD?

hi there, I'm 14 years old and have been feeling like this for a while. It's quite often now, but certain circumstances make me aggitated and I'll pull at my hair, cry, shout and even have thoughts of selm harm; don't worry I haven't. It's usually if my mum moves something in my room or attempts to clean it, she'll put any extra items she finds in my bed for me to put away and moves things into places she feels looks neatest and best, however this for some reason makes me really angry and just sparks something. If she does this, I'll have unstoppable crying for hours and I throw things and go overall crazy. I have to take everything she moved and put it back to the place I left it, It doesn't matter where it is as long as it's wherever I putit. for example I may have thrown an old t shirt over my chair at my desk, and my mum puts it in my closet, I have to out it back in that chair because that's where I put it. It's weird. But anyway that's just one example it seen happening in a few other circumstances and I was just wondering if you had any idea what it could be? It's been happening for yers but never really thought much if it, until I finally told my friend a few days ago, and she said it sounds slightly OCD. I knows friend is no doctor and could be completely off track, it's likely to be nothing, but I'd still like to check. Also, whatever it is, even if it's fairly normal, it'd be nice to know how to calm myself down if you have any tips? Thanks a lot
H
Hi there...sorry for your post getting lost and not answered.  I can't diagnose you on the forum but it does sound like OCD.  What worries me is you have a pretty violent reaction to your things being moved.  Pulling your hair, crying, shouting, and thinking about hurting yourself.  This tells me that your OCD is at the stage where it needs to be treated.  OCD is not something that goes away.  It is something that you need to learn to manage and as you get older and stress becomes a bigger part of your life, you may have more problems.  

So my suggestion is to talk to your mom about this and ask her to take you to your doctor so that you can get a referral to a child psychologist.  I know it takes a while overseas so start the process now.  

As for calming down here is a breathing technique you can do.  Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold it for 5 seconds and count this out in your head, then let it all out through your mouth.  Try it laying down with your hands on your stomach.  You breathe until the anxiety goes away.  Also you can try some meditation videos on YouTube.  

What you have to realize is that nothing bad is going to happen if something is moved to a different spot.  Actually why don't you pick one thing to move and if it causes you anxiety, do the breathing or meditation and see if that calms you down.  It is the little steps you see.  If you run back and move it then you are giving into the OCD irrational thinking and you are going to be stuck.