Stealing getting worse
My work mate and good friend has been stealing from work for some time. It can be anything from a little bit of coffee, biscuits, fruit, frozen pies, face washers, towels and even pillows and blankets. She lies to us all about it to the point that we are becoming very untrustworthy of her. She was caught a few months ago by another workmates who gave her a warning not to do it again or they would have to go to the boss. My friend was very guilt ridden and upset and promised not to do it again.  We have since discovered that she is still doing it. With the money she earns she should easily be able to afford a bit of coffee or the various other things she has stolen. It makes me so sad she is doing this because she is a close and dear friend. I just don't know what to do to help her. I wondered if she needs to see a psychologist or counceller. Does anyone have any ideas?
You said she feels guilty and can afford to buy these things so why is she stealing?  Do you think it is a compulsive habit she has developed?  Obviously she doesn't want to lose her job but sometimes things like this are out of our control.  Perhaps she cannot stop herself and so yes, she does need to see a psychologist.  There is a reason behind the stealing.  Maybe as a child she didn't have very much and her family was just scraping by.  There is usually some sort of trigger and I think her behavior needs to be investigated.  Don't give up on her because of this, but she needs to recognize that she needs to go and get help before it does come down to her losing her job.