Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Taring of finger and toe nails

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Taring of finger and toe nails

A close friend has a problem of taring her finger and toe nails until it bleeds.  This mostly occurs when watching television or just sitting and talking.  She does not know  why she does it but says she can't stop once she starts.  It is bad enough that she has bandaids on all ten fingers and toes because she does it until it bleeds.  Can this be OCD?
lol i do that too, infact i enjoy tearing my toenails, i just feel satisfied when i use my fingers to slowly tear long uncut toe nails. but i stop when it hurts.
To the best of my knowledge tearing or biting finger or toenails is not usually OCD, but to the extent she's doing it and the manner as which you described the symptoms it quite possibly could be classified as such.

If it's not OCD, compulsive biting/tearing is usually a sign of an underlying anxiety problem, and there is something clearly wrong here if she's having to cover her fingers  and toes.  I would try and get her to consult a therapist about it to see what's going on, particularly since she's doing it to such a great extent.

I am wondering the same thing. There isn't much information on this disorder. I remember it starting when I was in my early teens, which is when my parents got divorced, my mom got sick and I started doing drugs and drinking alcohol.

I am 44 now and it is worse than ever. I have had some major trauma in the past few years, but can't stop and I feel helpless and out of control and like there is something really wrong with me. I can't wear sandals or anything that shows my toenails.

HELP!
I do the same thing to my pinky toe.  I have a small pinky toenail and since about the age of 15, I've had the habit of picking and ripping it out until it bled.  I would pick at the sides of my pinky-nail, tearing it toward my cuticle then pulling the entire piece from the base and root of where the nail grows out from under the skin.  The pain would cause me to stay up all night sometimes, yet I couldn't wait for it to grow out so I could do it all over.  I don't think this is OCD, but just a bad and perhaps self-injurious habit.  I'm 30 now, I do it about once every 4 months now and feel the compulsion is more contained than when I was younger.
My 13 year old son picks his toenails until it bleeds. He also digs his scabs until that too bleeds. He constantly shakes his leg when he is standing. I don't know if it is some sort of anxiety disorder. i need help for him. a doctor diagnised him with Bi polar but we don;t think that is correct. He also suffers from night terrors. It is a sad state for my son.