Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Teenager Obsessive Chewing!

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Teenager Obsessive Chewing!

Hello! I'm 16 year's old!

When I was 8 or something I was diagnosed with OCD but most people didn't believe it was accurate and I've never taken anything for it, I was really only diagnosed for the grievous amount of fear I'd have about certain situations (such as I'd have to check under the bed every night, the cupboards have to be closed and windows shut).

Anyways...I chew things like crazy i can't stop chewing and I'd like to know what I can do to stop I suppose my stress levels are extremely high because I am a very busy person which probably increases the chewing like when I'm stressed or nervous I have to chew on something to calm my self down but it's also a habit and I actually enjoy chewing on things because it calms me(or  my brain thinks it does anyways). I think I've developed Jaw Lock from it my Jaw always clicks now and if i try and stop for a few days its like my teeth develop a very very strong desire to chew on something. Weird ay:|  I'm more concerned about the stuff I chew though because I don't like eating much because I don't wanna put on weight so I will chew on plastic paper cardboard or string and will more than likely swallow it and the amount of stuff I chew I'm sure the chemicals are damaging..! I know this is a terrible habit please what do i do to stop?
If you have a psychiatrist you should inform them about this. If not it would be worthwhile to seek a referral. I don't know if its a form of physical restlessness from ocd or another psychiatric disability, a physical desire to eat things that are non nutritious (there is a category for this called PICA, that's why a doctor should be informed as well) or since you are concerned about gaining weight and eating things that are non nutritious and should not be eaten instead, some form of an eating disorder. Either way as long as it was cleared it wasn't physical in origin (its essential not to try to try to self diagnosis, best to note what is going on and bring it to the doctor's and psychiatrist's attention) and if medication can't treat all the aspects of ocd, in addition to medication and talk therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy can be helpful as well. Think when it first occured and what form of emotional triggers might set it off and discuss this with a psychiatrist as well and they can decide how to follow up and instruct you from there.
Aw thanks so much!!!! That really helps:)
I don't eat things other than food, but I pretty much compulsively chew on things. I have sensory processing disorder, so I fidget and chew gum, etc. because I need alot of tactile input. I really love strong fruity-tasting gum, and also I have a waterbottle from costco with a chewy lid. Definitely talk to your pediatrician if you want to actually consume things, but otherwise there are tons of coping strategies to use.