Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
can ocd cause depression

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

can ocd cause depression

Can ocd cause depression? because I think I am starting to become depressed.I am seeing a lot of the signs of depression in myself,and also to boot my gf is suffering from clinical depression so that is not helping matters.
Yes it can.The 2 usually go hand in hand.You can also add stress & anxiety to the mix.
Yeah at least i am aware of what is happening right now,sadly rainlover that damn syringe thing is popping back into my head ugh
And OCD will do that Michael.You have to be rational though and realize that the syringe incident never happened and you know it didn't because when incidents like that occur it's obvious.
Duh to myself( palm to forehead) Do you have any tips on how to I guess handle someone that is going through a bout of clinical depression? my gf of 3 and ahalf years is going through that and i am kind of at a loss.I ve been doing research on the illness and getting conflicting info on how to handle them.
There is a depression forum for family members and/or care givers.  Look it up under the forums list at the top of the page.  

As for your own depression....yes...been there.  Clinical depression is different than depression brought on by other disorders.  OCD leads to extreme anxiety and then on to depression when it is not treated.  Clinical depression is much harder to treat in my opinion.  I hope that she is seeing somebody good.  
yes i hope she does get help but like a majority of clinically depressed folks they do not want to go get treated,i do not know why they are like that.It boggles my mind
OCD can definitely cause depression.  That is what I'm currently dealing with right now. Since the OCD takes over and makes my life a living hell, I have become a shell of my former self.  I used to laugh, joke, have fun, want to socialize, etc.  Now I don't even like to look at people and everytime I catch myself laughing at a joke on TV or something, my brain says 'no laughter, too much to worry about'.  It's sickening.  When doctors asked me in the past if I have depression, I have always specifically said 'yes, but it's caused by the OCD'.  However, the truth is I probably have comorbid OCD and depression and the depression usually gets worse around the time my OCD flares up.  If you are suffering from depression, please go see a doctor who can put you on medication.  If you are not on medication already for your OCD, I'd look into it because it can help so much.  Your girlfriend should look into getting on medication too.  Obviously, I'm an advocate for medication because it does help so much.  People like us can't help that we have chemicals in our brains that don't produce enough serotonin and thankfully there are ways to help remedy it, take advantage of it!
me i m up for meds but my gf she is against them even tho I think she needs them more then I do.I m learning coping techniques