Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
cleaning n checking

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

cleaning n checking

I can't stop checking doors are locked and stove and microwave are unplugged. I can't get sleep ,grrrr. Anyone else got this dang problem?
hi there...yes...checking is a pain in the you know what.  I started out as a checker.  This is what you do.  When you lock the door you say out loud "the door is locked" or for the other things "The microwave is unplugged" or for me "the iron is off".  Then when you get that overwhelming panic and urge to go back, you stop yourself.  You remember that you said it out loud and so you know it is done.  What you have to absolutely not do is go back and check again.  So if you can't calm down, then do this breathing technique

Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold it for 5 seconds and count this out in your head, then let it all out through your mouth.  Continue breathing until you are calm.  It helps to learn this technique when you are lying down.  

Let me know how it goes.