Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
ocd

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

ocd

Hi my daughter is 20yrs.old and has ocd,it consumes most of her day.What kind of help is available other then meds,which she is already taking? Therapy? She has had ocd for about 4 years and it has gradually got worse.She isn't enjoying life like she could be and it saddens me.What are the chances of living a normal life when you have been diagnosed with this mental condition?

dee4011
I'm 19 and have OCD and it used to consume most of my day just like your daughter.  I found that perhaps even more helpful than medicine was therapy.  Find a good behavorial and exposure psychologist.  I was lucky and found one of the top OCD psychologists in the country, if not the world.  She really helped me and my OCD is much more manageable if not gone for most of the time.  Hope everything works out and good luck.
try hypnotherapy... ive tried cognitive thereapy, drugs etc but id say that hypnotherapy worked the best. I think it depends on the person and what kind of OCD they have.
My ocd is back to how it was now - you need to keep going often to stay on top of it and i cant afford it. it costs about £50 a time (for one hour)
Also ive heard accupunture is good? never done it though
Therapy is very helpful for treating OCD, but it needs to be a specific kind of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for OCD called Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP).  You can find more info at www.ocfoundation.org.  It's important to find a therapist who has training in this specific form of therapy for OCD.  It's really difficult, but it does work!
OCD never goes away completely, but you can recover and lead a good life.