Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
scalp picking

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

scalp picking

has anyone ever been cured of scalp picking and how?  I am so tired of suffering with this
That is really odd, I was actually doing that very thing when I read this question. I do it, but I am guessing that my case is not as extreme as yours because I am not bothered by it and I do not do it all the time.

The best thing I can think of, is to get a worry stone and wear it on a necklace. It will let your fingers do something instead of what you are having a problem with.

More people will probably help you also.
Other people do this too? I'm not alone! I have kept places on my scalp for almost a year because I just can't seem to make myself stop picking at my scalp.
I have one sore that I think is finally going away.
Don't know if you've been checking back to this forum and you may have seen the other thread w/168 posts but I hope you have found some relief.  This is a real problem and having found out I'm not alone, I've already felt less anxiety about this.  Hope you are well.
Well, the good news it comes and goes.  I am almost 50, and have done this on and off since I was five.  I find that it happens during some periods of stress (not all).  I usually stop because it is kind of embarrassing to get my hair done.  Scheduling a haircut motivates me to stop.
I'm 54 and have picked my scalp since I was about ....   Hmmm well I can't remember. Prob since I was about 10+
Like u I try to stop so I can get my hair cut. Lately been sooooo bad I haven't had haircut for about 10 weeks. I sooooooooooo wish I could stop once and for all. Strange thing is in 2008 I had a cancer scare. Bowel tumour. Was very lucky tho. Turned out to be benign and believe it or not thro fear and op etc etc i didn't pick my head. Strange eh?
If anyone knows a way to stop this habitual thing plse let me know.
Chris
I have just done as search because i thought there must be something wrong with me. Why do i do it? Like others i have trouble and once i start i can't stop. It doesn't necessarily itch but sometimes i feel it and sometimes its sore. I have patches of about 5p piece size where i have short stubble where i have scratched so much. I am worried my hair loss will get worse if i do not stop, I tell myself i must not scratch but i end up back doing it, half the time i don't know if i realise i am doing it. Is it anxiety or stress, nerves! OCD?  wondering if seeing a doctor would help or if they would just laugh!
No they would not laugh and yes you should see a psychologist to get help for this.  In the mean time, can I ask if you do it out in public or only at home?  If you do it only at home, then put a hat on your head or socks on your hands because you cannot scratch what you cannot get to.  Also, it might help for you to try some of the meditation videos on YouTube.  They are very relaxing and may help with your stress level.
I have 3 scabs on my head my mom takes medicine for sores puts a bandaid with it on it and sticks it on my scabs then she puts a hat on me it works but one popped up on the front on my head I CAN'T STOP! So i will put a hat on with medicine on it you try it hope it works!