Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
scalp scab picking

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

scalp scab picking

My husband constantly picks scabs on his head..... sometimes I see him picking scabs on his arm but not as much as head....... he is always busy working..he is retired but works outside when weather permits all the time....on the go, on the go....... I notice the picking when we are driving somewhere or when he is just sitting down at night watching TV.... it all start then....... what do you think is the cause of this problem.
What your husband has is called Dermatillomania.  It is often linked to OCD and is usually treated in the same fashion.  Scalp picking is usually the results of tension or anxiety that a person is having.  Anxiety does not have to be something conscious, it can be subconscious as well.  It also can become a habit.  My guess is that he does not do it in front of other people.  

So in order to get a handle on this, a visit to a therapist is in order.  When you look for a psychologist, look for one that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy treatments.  They will teach him ways to put this habit behind him.  There are also medications that may work as well, the same ones for OCD, however that is something that would have to be discussed with the psychologist.  If he/she thinks that is warranted, then they can refer him to a Psychiatrist.  

He is highly unlikely to stop this on his own but with the proper treatment, he can put this behind him.  
thanks for info...... I thought it might be linked to OCD and you have confirmed for me.  
twee4270