Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
skin picking

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

skin picking

I have been a skin picker for a very long time and have a hard time stopping. I pick the bottom of my feet and toes, at times I can barely walk in the morning. I pull a piece of skin until I rip it off, no matter how deeply it goes and how much blood. I am bad at night when my husband goes to bed before me, therefore I am alone. I am 48 years old and would like to get a pedicure, but am to embarrased. Anyone out there have advice. I just found this web page yesterday and am very happy I did.
Jan
Been there, done that.  I would pick at my feet so much I could hardly walk.  I would chew the inside of my cheeks also.  My psychiatrist said I have lots of excess energy to get rid of.  That's what I'm trying to do.
Thank for the reply. I should start to excercise, maybe that would help me to feel better. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Jan
Wow! I'm a picker, too. After I went through menopause, I began innocently picking the hairs out of my chin. Now I've gotten to the point that I've nearly destroyed my chin. I look like I have a really bad case of acne. I can't stop. If I stop, what about the hairs? Yea, I know...the hairs are better than the bad chin, but I just can't seem to stop. I used to be late for work because of it. Now I've applied for disability because of Fibromyalgia, and I spend a good deal of the day picking. I almost feel like a "cutter" because when I pull a particularly long hair out or even one that the whole root comes out, I have an almost euphoric feeling. Wonder if this would help my disability case?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Obsessive-compulsive disorder arises from having usually an irrational fear or an obsession which makes you feel uncomfortable and in order to combat that fear, you utilise an action (compulsion). This will often create a downward spiral without treatment, as soon, not performing the compulsion will make the obsession seem worse. If you have a tendancy to pick at your skin with no fear causing it, then I think it's just called compulsive skin picking. I began skin picking because I thought if I didn't make sure the skin on my face was pure, everyone was saw me would think I was disgusting and would become nasty towards me. Although the obsessional side of this has reduced and I acknowledge it as irrational, I still can't leave the house without doing this as I feel uncomfortable. It's just a compulsion now.
I just wanna say, watever you do, do everything you can to stop! The 'buzz' you get will make it take over your life. In skin picking, I'm constantly late and it takes a significant amount of time doing it and many aspects of my life suffer as a result. It will only get worse. It sounds like in applying for disability, you have made it easier for yourself to do it without having so many negative consequences to make you feel guilty. I know that it's easier said then done, but the only way to stop is to break the cycle. Try to identify any possible triggers and try to eliminate them as much as possible, e.g. a passing mirror, having extra time, being bored or in a certain emotional state and finding an alternative way to make yourself feel better that is more beneficial may soon displace the need to do this altogether. Also, you could try electrolysis, as it would remove your hairs and over time reduce their appearance without you hopefully feeling the need to pick as well.
Have you tried adopting a skin care routine for your feet? You could try hiding any instruments that you may use to pick with (I would use nail clippers to cut the bottom of my feet) and replacing this with moisturisers etc to pamper your feet. In doing this, the joy of feeling pampered may override the buzz you get from picking. Also, you could try to make it awkward for yourself to cut your feet. For example, if you like your shoes, you could buy a really nice strappy pair and arrange a night out, thus the thought of having cut feet on display may be enough to deter you from doing this. Try not to allow yourself to go to bed after your hubby: you could try wearing bed socks if you wished, so as not to show your feet and this would eliminate the opportunity to do it. Basically, the only thing you can do is to try an break the cycle by trying to identify why you do it and what triggers it and eliminating them by ridding opportunity and displacing the buzz you get from doing it with negative association and finding something else that will make you feel better in the same way this can. Hope this helps.
Thank u everyone for helping me know I'm not alone and did not know how many people have these type problems...good luck and God help us...have a good day everyone...