Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
skin/scalp picking disorder

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

skin/scalp picking disorder

I have noticed a lot of people posting to the forum regarding skin and scalp picking.  With almost every post the person says they thought they were the only one.  Since I have been CL of this forum I have noticed that there seem to be three things that people do or worry about more often than others.  

1)  HIV anxiety
2) Skin/scalp picking
3) HOCD

As far as the skin and scalp picking goes, it seems to me that most people are surprised there are others out there that do this, most admit to some sort of anxiety that the skin and scalp picking lessens, most people are long-term sufferers and the majority of you have not sought any help for this disorder.  

dermatillomania is skin picking
trichotillomania is hair pulling

Both are considered impulse control disorders.  Some of you have posted that you don't even want to go outside anymore because you have picked your face or arms to the point that "they are a mess" or you have pulled your hair out to the point of baldness and are embarassed so go to the hair salon.  Some of you have confessed to locking yourselves in the bathroom and picking and pulling in order to hide what you are doing.  

As I said above, this is an impulse control disorder.  It requires special treatment.  

Here is a wonderful website for people suffering from these disorders:  http://www.trich.org/

I urge you all to seek professional help.  You are not alone.  It is nothing to be ashamed of.  Look at it this way, what you do is really no different from what many of us do with OCD.  Some of us obsess over thoughts and perform rituals.  The only difference is that what you do is noticable on the outside while what the others do is internal.  We too have scars but they are not visible.  

Please seek help and please share your success stories on here.  Start a thred labeled "skin and scalp picking success story"  and let's see how many of you can post on that thread with your own success story.  My very best to all of you.  
Reposting just in case anyone is interested.
Oh - what a great idea to show success stories and I am sorry that I didn't see this till I had posted my comments in the existing thread. I may well become known for my work in this field as time progresses. I'm glad I found this forum.
Keep at it JGF25 your comments are so honest and supportive.