Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
son with OCD and Tourette Syndrome

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

son with OCD and Tourette Syndrome

My son is 9 years old and has always had an obsession with touching my other sons head who is 6. In the last few months it seems to be getting out of control. It is especially bad when he is tired in the evening and in the car (the car has also always been a trigger for his tics)and when he's watching a movie. He cries he doesn't want to do it and says his brain is telling him to do it so the only thing we can do right now is seperate them. But its a nightmare in the car because there is no escaping it. And we feel so sorry for our 6 year old because he has had enough! We honestly dont know what to do. We tried meds but have taken him off because of side effects. Has anyone else out there experienced this? Our doctor has said to help him try and redirect the tics (he feels its T.S and not ocd) but I dont think so. It also for some reason puts our son over the edge when he sees his younger brother put his arms in the air so that his armpits are exposed. What is this???
OCD does have tics like Tourette Syndrome, and does have features of Tourette Syndrome, and even Bipolar Ddisorder. However, that does not mean that your child has Tourette Syndrome, or Bipolar Disorder. I shall break it down for you.

OCD has obsessions, and compulsions.

We may obsess about one thing and want it quite badly, like a relationship, sex, or what have you. Anybody can have these obsessions. However, OCD involves acting on these obsessions, and acting on these obsessions are called compulsions.

For example, someone with OCD who badly wants a relationship might go too fast with a certain person, and end up having sex with them too soon, therefore spoiling the relationship, and putting them at risk for diseases. A person with OCD who wants sex might go down unhealthy avenues to have sex, such as having it with unusual or shady people, or being involved in unprotected sex. They may even have recurring sexual obsessions that creates an impulse that they feel they must act on. There is also Health OCD, where a person may obsess over being sick with a serious illness (even though they are not ill), and they are scared to death of spreading this illness to other people (I have this).

Another great characteristic of OCD is the person's recognition that their obsessions and compulsions are irrational. However, if they do not satisfy their obsessions and perform their compulsive rituals, then their anxiety increases greatly. Redirecting the tics are definitely a great idea, although I can't say how this would be done. A professional certified counselor could definitely help with this.

Like I said in my last post to another person, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a great avenue to explore. It can help redirect obsessions and compulsions, and do it in a manner that decreases that person's anxiety.