Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
staring or being observant?

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

staring or being observant?

Hey all, I have always had this problem but now I wonder why. I have a serious staring problem. But my research has told me about people that stare at one spot like genitalia or just stare people in the eye too long. I feel like when I look at someone I am looking at everything. In a very short time I have every freckle memorized, if they have a unique wrinkle, all the way down to tattoos on their legs and even the way they stand. Basically, my question is, do I have a disorder or could I just sum it up as being a very observant person. I don't do this out of attraction (but if I am attracted to someone then I REALLY cannot stop staring lol). Does anyone else out there relate to this? I get called out by people for staring at them and I apologize but if I try to not stare then I am being rude by not making eye contact. There is no happy medium.
You know, it is only a problem if it interferes with your daily life.  It seems to me that it does since you have been "called out" by people for starting at them and of course you wouldn't be writing on this forum if it wasn't bothering you.  You are hyper-aware of things and could probably benefit from seeing a psychologist to deal with this.  Do you think it is a self-esteem issue?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Also, do you have ADHD or ADD?  I ask that because it seems to me that if you are not starting them you feel rude which could also be a sign of needing to look at something.  It is kind of like a person who likes to talk and when there is silence it drives them crazy.