Occupational Health & Safety Community
82 yr old, drop foot, driving

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

82 yr old, drop foot, driving

My 82 yr old grandfather was in an accident last week, which most likely wasn't his fault, turning left at a green light someone blew threw the red light and side swiped him and my grandmother. To make a long and drawn out story short, grandma has Alzhemir's, Grandpa is the caretaker. He is without a doubt ADHD, passive aggressive, dependant personality. Refuses to give up license. Myself and mother,(RN) believe he is not compensating, father and 4 other siblings believe he is, mentally capable (debatable, but they refuse even to consider he is not), on top of all of this, he has Right sided foot drop, L5-S1 nerve compression. My question is can we make a reasonable arguemnet to them that the foot drop should prevent him from getting a new car? Seems logical to me and may be easier for family to accept, rather than both parents suffering from cognitive decline. Thanks for any feedback.
That is a tough call.  Without a car, your grandfather and grandmother would be dependent on you all to take them everywhere they need to go.  Grocery shopping, doctor's appointments, you name it.  My father-in-law is in this situation.  He has macular D and he simply cannot see well enough to drive.  It is a burden on us and it is a burden on him.  He would go out and cause an accident if he tried to drive so we do what we have to do as a family.  We take turns.  

Do any of you ever drive with him?  I know that my father-in-law would scare the crap out of me.  So if noone has been out with him lately, I suggest a ride along to see how his driving really is then you can make the proper assessment.  If you feel he is unsafe when in the car with him, then the license has to go.  Maybe two people from opposing sides of the family could go and then a decision can be made.  It is better to drive them around than to worry that they are going to hurt themselves or others.