Occupational Health & Safety Community
Exposure to Fumes from Painting Vehicles
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exposure to Fumes from Painting Vehicles

I work next door to a company that was painting cars almost on a daily basis.  They were doing this in a building that we shared but was separated by walls from floor to ceiling.  Each day they painted I smelled the fumes and it gave me a headache in the front of my head and made me feel nauseous.  This was at first.  As time went on I started getting a burning sensation in one of my feet.  It would happen while i was at work and then it started happening when I was sleeping at my home in the middle of the night.  I would wake up because my foot felt like it was burning.  I would touch it with my hand and it was not hot to the touch but it still felt like it was burning.  I also started having hot flashes for the first time in my life without being sick / flu like.  It happens throughout the day and mostly when I sleep.  I'm only 25 years old and I think this is very abnormal.  I complained to the landlord who owned the building several times and he did nothing for months until I told him of my symptoms and that I was going to see a doctor about them.  He had the vehicle painting company move out of the building that day (he actually owns the painting company).  The burning has stopped for the most part but I am still getting "hot flashes" on a regular basis.  What do you think about this?  I was exposed to painting fumes coming thru the walls or vents for over 6 hours a day 5 days a week for over 2 months.  The symptoms didn't appear until the vehicle painting company moved in as a new tenant in 2010.  They assured me I wasn't breathing in anything that could hurt me and that they were doing the best they could to control the fumes.  I told them they wear respirators while they are painting and I can't wear a respirator all day while I'm trying to work. I just feel like my odd symptoms are from inhaling the paint fumes.  Have you ever heard of this?
Tags: Exposure
Related Discussions
144586_tn?1284669764
Yes, there appears to be a liklihood you may have suffered neurological damage from the fumes. From that point onward we have to ask whether or not the damage is permanent. The answer to that is "it is impossible to know". You have what is called by bottomfeders a "tort action" against the landlord. These are difficult and expensive to pursue. Proof is also difficult in the absence of documentation and collaboration and air samples. The good news is that many of us (like myself) have been exposed to very toxic chemicals decades ago, and despite temporary symptoms (knock on wood) nothing further happened. The human body is extremely resilient.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Occupational Health & Safety Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top General Health Answerers
4851940_tn?1385441629
Blank
jemma116
United Kingdom
144586_tn?1284669764
Blank
caregiver222
1780921_tn?1384615710
Blank
flipper336
Chandler, AZ