Occupational Health & Safety Community
Follow-up to my original question about asbestos exposure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

Hi Dr. Parks,

Thanks again for your responses to my original question.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Occupational-Safety--Health/asbestos-exposures/show/1568925#post_7123036

Unfortunately, I'm still thinking too much about the exposures my family and i had. I would like to give you a few more details about what happened if i could.  We (my wife and I) were renovating our fourth floor (directly) under the roof at the time the roof was replaced. I guess this was our first mistake, taking on the renovation by ourselves.  Before the roof was redone we had removed all the plaster and lathe from the roof trusses.  We had a carpenter come in to do some work and to get the wood into the room he he cut a hole (2 feet by 2 feet)  through the wood deck, the asbestos paper and all the shingles, I guess he knew that we were having the roof replaced soon.  I don't remember cleaning up after this and so i guess some asbestos would have been in the room after this.  After this was done I partially covered the hole made by the carpenter with plywood but there was still a small opening into the third floor that the roofers probably covered with a tarp when they did the tear off.  Before the roofers did the tear off and replacement we had spray foam put on the underside of the roof (probably about 2 to 4 inches think).  The paper that was on our roof was not bitumen based but plain asbestos paper and I guess this means it was friable.  Also the amount of roof that i think had the paper was 14 feet by 12 feet (this sloped section had three layers of asphalt shingles and cedar shakes and then the paper) and a flat portion of roof about 10 feet by 14 feet, but obviously I didn't see it so I can't be sure.  The day after all the tear off was done, the roofers installed a skylight in the third floor for us.  It was too heavy or awkward to lift on the outside so they brought the window up through the house to the top floor.
The question that I have is does this additional information change your assessment that the exposures that my family had was negligible?

My worry has led me to have a chest X ray and lung function testing which were all normal but it's only been a few years since all this happened.
I'm also  wondering if I should be doing something else, especially for my children who were very young when all this happened.
Thanks again so much for your responses.  I'm really have a hard time fighting through this and your knowledge means alot
Its diifficult I know, but I'm sure any exposure was minimal. The asbestos involved, was it white or blue / brown? How long after the disturbance did you get the air tested?

Thanks for the comment.  It was chrysotile (white), but I've read that the claims that it (chrysotile) is not as likely to cause mesothelioma or lung cancer are false and are only supported by industry scientist.  Although, for selfish reasons i'm hopeful that they are true.
Sorry jampot260, I forgot to respond to your other question.  It was about two years after the roofing was removed that the air testing was done, and 6 month to a year after I had removed the floor tiles, but I can't be sure.  The air test was only done where the tiles had been removed and not in the room where we had previously renovated.  The tester didn't think that it was worth while testing up there after so long.