Leaking battery
I'm not sure if this is a big concern or not, but - while rearranging items on my desk in my bedroom - I discovered a leaking alkaline battery behind some papers. It had been there for some time, as the corroded acid had crusted onto the desk. I'm not particularly sure how it got there - it's possible I (stupidly) took it out of a remote and forgot about it.

What I'm wondering is whether this presents any health risks. Specifically, I have read that the fumes from leaking alkaline batteries are toxic and can cause respiratory problems, as well as negatively effect the eyes and skin. I haven't noticed any adverse effects - however, I'm wondering if having long-term exposure to a leaked battery in an unventilated area can pose any problems. Should I go see a doctor about this or am I over-reacting?
The health risks are insignificant. You are over-reacting. There is no need to go to a doctor.

The chances of anything happening to you from this incident are about the same as the chance you will be abducted by aliens tonight or be called to the White House and asked to be the next vice-presidential candidate.
Thank you very much, caregiver222. I really appreciate the response.