Occupational Health & Safety Community
Shoulder Pain after flu shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

Shoulder Pain after flu shot

I read posts from 2007about this topic.  I recieved flu shot one month ago and experiencing significant shoulder pain that continues to get worse.  I will be seeing my doctor (shot was given in her office by nurse).  Has there been anything written up on this topic that I can share with her?  After doing internet research on this subject and seeing a large amount of people suffering from the same problem starting over last year - I'm dismayed that the health field is still issuing shots incorrectly.  It appears I may possibly have a chronic problem due to something that I was told would be good for me (getting the flu shot.)   I'm curious if this has been an issue prior to 2007 - and if not, is there something within the flu shot itself (not the needle / where it goes in) that is causing the problem?   Thanks for any insight you can provide.  
I had a flu shot that was improperly given, and now have a TORN ROTATOR CUFF that needs surgery in the very near future. I am disgusted that the health care professionals can not get this most basic procedure right !! I have been in excruciating pain for almost four months because of a simple flu shot. If it's not repaired, I could suffer from a permanent disability. The only way to truely find out if it is a rotator cuff tear is to have an MRI. I suggest you do some research the web on this type of injury before seeing your doctor. Also, get a referral to an Ortho doc. Do not mention the shot, save it for later. You never know, they might try to cover it up. That's what I am dealing with now.
I am curious how you are doing now?  I have been in pain for 3 months from a flu shot. The shot was given at an angle upward... and now my arm is painful and weak.  Hard to put my seatbelt on.  or use my arm.
This was done by a nurse at a flu clinic with rite aid.  Makes me wonder how responsible they should be for my medical expenses that are to come.  
I see a doctor on Monday.
I am going thru the same thing but both arms! It has been a month, Each day is finally feeling better. My pain was a 9-10 and now a 3-4. Saw the Dr. yesterday and maybe it is bursitis, The shots were given so high and it was like going into a rock. That had to be it. Keep us all informed with your details, I read another blog on this website that mentioned 3-6 months. Ugh!!
This morning I was getting frustrated by the inconvenience again.  I have to use my left arm to support my right arm when putting on my bra.  I can't imagine having it in both arms!    The doctor told me that I have a  rotator cuff injury...which could have been from the shot, but he would say for sure.  

I was thinking that I really need to let Rite Aid know that this nurse injured me, so that this does not happen to others!..  I heard the nurse say before she game me the shot,  " I give shots at an angle upwards, so that they do not hurt as much."   .  I am concerned that she may be injurying many others out there.
I got the flu shot back in September at Walgreens.  I am still hurting.  I went to dr. back in November she gave me an xray.   It did not show anything.   I went to dr. 2 weeks ago and said the pain will not go away.  She sent me to a neurologist.  Found out I have carpal tunnel (that is not from the shot) in both wrist.  The test didn't show any damage to the nerver.  They told me I have bursitis.  They told me to continue doing what my general dr said to do.  Which is take naproxen twice a day.  The Dr. looked like he wanted to laugh at me because he just didn't think the flu shot caused it.  I told him I didn't have this pain until the shot happened.
I had pain at night for 3 months, went to physio and he found a "trigger point" that was caused by the shot. He released it with an acupuncture type needle. Wish I had gone sooner. HOpe it cures others.
Flu shots, regardless of how it's given, do not result in torn rotator cuff. Immunizations can sometimes cause a rare adverse reaction called acute brachial plexus neuritis which many doctors will misdiagnose as torn rotator cuff, bursitis, cervical radiculopathy, etc. It's not very common, but it is extremely painful. I have seen it occur in 3 patients in my 15 years of healthcare. If you have this type of reaction or other adverse reaction, report it to the CDC through the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). It is important for people to report their reactions so there are enough statistics to provide increased awareness of this condition so more docs are aware and fewer misdiagnose the condition. Treatment is primarily symptomatic, but the condition usually clears up within a few months, but sometimes as long as a few years.
i had a flu shot almost 3 weeks ago also at Rite-Aid and am alot of pain with no sign of it getting better. I was glad to get the feedback from this blog and intend to go to Rite-Aid and make a complaint. I will also contact the CDC as suggested and will go to an Acupuncturist to see if I can get some relief.
Got a flu shot in Oct 2012 and my reaction to it matches what others here have reported.  Has anyone come up with a definitive solution for this?
I had my flu shot given by my physicial, two weeks ago (Jan 28 2013)..It was given in my left upper shoulder. The initial pain was expected. Over the next few days I was in moderate to severe pain in the exact site, to the extent that I could not life my arm and I was being woken in the middle of the night. It has not subsided..although it is not as painful as it was..Two weeks later and I cannot lift my left arm without pain and it is still painful to sleep on my left side..I am going back to the doc on Monday, but what gives??!
Curious to know what happened with your circumstance for I'm doing the same thing for I had the flu shot last week and am still having problems in my arm/shoulder.  I can't lift it very far and have been kept awake at night for countless hours with pain.  What did the Dr finally decide?
I had a flu shot at CVS 6 weeks ago and in constant arm and shoulder pain. Advil doesn't help and was wondering if anyone else has a diagnosis.  
I am having the same problem with my left shoulder after getting the flu shot 9/13/13 at CVS. Went on steriods for 5 days and felt fine (masked the pain) then the pain came back. My shoulder was xrayed showing no infection from Premier Urgent Care. Having trouble sleeping, especially on my left side, hurts when touching it, painful when lifting it up. Put a heating pad on my shoulder, the pain is still there. Was wondering if I should see an orthopedic doctor.
My husband and I had  Fluzone HD PF 13-14 INJ on October 7th at Sam's Club administered by the Pharmacy Manager.  As I write this comment, both my husband and myself are unable to raise our arm above our heads.  Especially hard to put on jackets and over-the-head t-shirts.   Our Primary physician suggested that we use hot compresses on the area and stretch the arm as much as possible to get the muscle relaxed,  but that has not been ineffective.  What can we do to alleviate this pain?
I received a flu shot at work 09/18/2013 in my left shoulder.  I experienced immediate pain and discomfort and reported it to the injecting nurse and pharmacist.  Both said that it was to be expected as pain to the injection site is the number one complaint from the flu shot.  I was assured it would go away in a few days.  I waited nearly a week.  The pain did not subside but escalated.  I was unable to lift my arm at all and the pain was exscruciating and continuous.  I reported this and was told to begin taking ibuprofen to relieve the swelling.  So, I did and it did relieve some of the discomfort making it at least bearable to function.  However, three weeks later and I still had the pain and inability to use that arm or lie on that side.  So I was sent to a general physician who prescribed Medrol dose pak.  It was suggested that I had a previous injury that there was no way the flu shot could cause this.  I was furious.  I have never in my life had any shoulder pain or issues ever!!  The Medrol dose pak did relieve the pain to the point that I could at least turn my arm and put on clothes.  So the doctor declared it to be swelling and said it will just continue to get better.  He could not give me a cause.  Well, it has now been two months and I still am not able to lift anything or use my arm pain free as I was prior to the flu shot.  I am in the process of scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to find out what is wrong.  I am just as outraged as you all are that so many people have had this problem and there seems to be no one doing anything about trying to figure out how to prevent it.  The insinuations that there was a previous injury is the most insulting of all!!  I will keep you posted as to the end result of this terrible experience.
i got 2 shots at routine ck up. my Dr recommended the flu and pnuemonia (pneumonia) shot. Nurse came in, was not very friendly no smiles, nothing and stood right in front of me as I sat on the exam table and administered both shots top left shoulder. Was fast, hard and painful. I went "ouch that really hurts" she looked at me and said "that's what shots do and left. The first few days I had extreme inflammation and soreness, called the office they said was normal and esp w 2 shots to put ice on it take Advil. So, I waited it out, not sleeping well, pain began to take over my upper left shoulder traveling both ways like a Tsunami down my arm and towards my neck and center of back. Within 2 weeks I could barely raise my arm and had throbbing "toothache like " pain everywhere in those areas and it started traveling down to left leg with throbbing pain. I actually got stuck putting my sports bra on. It was so painful I got  and had to cut it off with my right hand, while my left arm was half up  in air. I called my Dr went in, he examined me said prob had bursa injury from needles hitting nerves and promptly ordered phys therapy. I refused pain med and went with ice and Advil instead. Now it is Jan 3 mo of phys therapy 2 to 3 x week, is slowly getting better, but I cannot still reach up high or behind my back and have difficulty even pulling on jeans or washing my hair w both hands. I go back for evaluation Jan 20. My Dr will not be allowed to brush this off so easily this time. I have been their patient now over 20 years. To avoid frozen shoulder syndrome make sure you get proper care go to phys therapy. I now have a Tens 7000 portable unit that helps with pain mgmt that the phys therapist suggested and had my Dr sign form for my insurance to authorize. Follow directions exactly and it will help through the course of healing. I have done much research and found that depending on injury and where, it could take 6 to 12 mos or more to be back to feeling normal. That is not great news for me as I had hoped within 3 mos I would be fine. So, my Dr office now has a huge problem facing them legally. I have not decided to take action but am keeping that as last resort if I go past the 6 mo mark, then I will sue. The Nursing staff should know how to administer these shots without causing damage or at least minimal. This nurse was having a bad day and I am paying for it.
I received a flu shot at Dr Office  Jan/ 16 / 2014 in my left shoulder.  I experienced immediate pain and discomfort and reported it to the Dr Office he will not call me back.painful when lifting it up.,, I didn't have this pain until I GOT THE  Flu  shot ..... :(    "" ouch that really hurts"""