Occupational Health & Safety Community
battery fumes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

battery fumes

I drive a narrow isle lift truck for a living at a warehouse. the battery on my truck has been showing sings of aging  by leaking acid and for the past feew weeks i have noticed a bad smell feels like my nose burning once in a while im in the machine 7 hours a day the battery is placed directly in front of the drivers space so im constantly breathing in the fumes i have been feeling sick for 2 weeks constantly breeting those fumes what kind of health risks can ocur if i keep breating in the fumes.

did i mention the battery weighs about 3000 pounds.
Tags: fumes
You can cause a chemical burn on your lung which will generally heal. The problem is the raw surface is infection prone.

Your boss needs to get a new battery. It's very hard to convince a boss of this unless you have an uncle in the Cosa Nostra.

Often the way to do this is to "help the damage along". Shhhhhhhh.

If you are in a union shop see the shop steward.

You have a legitimate beef.