Occupational Health & Safety Community
chemical exposure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

chemical exposure

my question is the other day they were doing some work on the apartment below us. I wasn't home my husband was and he was taking a nap. When he woke up the entire apartment was engulfed in fumes and his skin was burning he couldn't breathe and he had the shakes and a really bad cough. He went downstairs and asked them to stop what they were doing and they wouldn't they also said they were almost done, then he asked what they were doing they said redoing the bathrooms, he also asked what kind of chemicals they were using and they would not tell him. Needless to say he is going to the dr. at this very moment. I just want to know if what he was exposed to was harmful, but since the complex won't tell us what should he do?
He should have called the fire department, because in almost all cases these fumes are highly flammable, and the police and had them arrested. Most likely the fumes came from a volatile solvent used to produce a smooth surface on the floors. These are neurotoxic, but there is really no treatment except exposure to fresh air and no way to quantify damage. You have the option of going to the police and filing a complaint. Most likely they will "blow you off". Contractors tend to be very indifferent. This happened in my building, we called the fire department, and they were shut down immediately and issued summons..