Occupational Health & Safety Community
isocyanate and severe 'hemiplegic' migraines

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

I work in a manufacturing plant that uses alot of paint products containing isocyanate.  The job I was doing required me to put parts on the product while it was still wet and i would then get the paint on me and my clothes.  Even though I would double up my clothes it would soak thru to my skin.  A few months ago, I went to the ER w/ a severe headache and symptoms matching that of a stroke.  I was diagnosed w/ a hemiplegic migraine.  I have since been off work and suffer almost daily severe headaches, if not migraines.  MRI and CAT scans have shown nothing.  Eyes have peticial hemmoraging.  Due to the nature of what I do and the size of the equipment around me, it is unsafe for me to return to work until this is fixed, if it can be.  I finally saw a neurologist, but he just jumped to management and not to finding the root cause.  Today I found out another lady in my department suffered the exact same symptoms yesterday (w/o knowing my symptoms) and is now off work.  Two more ladies are suffering increasing headaches, which I did months before my migraines set in.  My brother who also works there and has dealt w/ these chemicals in auto body is now concerned that this may be more than a coincedence.  Does anyone have any knowledge of any possible connection between this chemical and what we are experiencing?  
I am a victim of isocyanate poisoning, caused by the application of a spray on foam roofing system at the school where I was teaching.  My respiratory system was so inflamed and later scarred that most of my sinus tissue had to be surgically removed.  I have restrictive lung disease and damage to my vocal chords.  I have brain damage, 24 hour neuropathy (nerve pain), migraines, and seizures.

My recommendation is find a reputable and experiences personal injury lawyer and be examined by a reputable occupational medicine physician.  Don't stop in your quest, even if it looks hopeless.  You're right, it is too dangerous to return to work. Isocyanates are sensitizers, which means you become increasing more susceptible to harm.

Last December was the 25 anniversary of the methyl isocyanate (MIC) spill in Bhopal India, the worst industrial tragedy in history.  Search the web for that event and you will find a wealth of information about what isocyanates can do to the body.

My website http://www.nancyswan provides some answers as well as daily news and resources.

Thank you so much.  I am in the process of trying to find a like you had mentioned when I read your post.  I had been in touch w a lawyer but they said until a doctor had said it had definitely caused my problem, there was nothing they could do.  At this point, I am just wanting to find out what is wrong w/ me as my symptoms are getting worse instead of better and I still doubt my diagnosis of hemiplegic migraines.  My appointment w/ a second neurologist is coming up next week.  My appointment w/ my first was a complete waste of time (I posted about it he was a complete a** who did nothing and won't call me back when I have a problem, besides being rude and insulting).  The only reason I have even resorted to trying to call him is because my PCP doesn't know how to handle the migraines and will admit it.  OK, back on subject.  I have since found out specifically what chemical was being used and called OSHA and filed a formal complaint for the well-being of my coworkers as it is still being used.  I tried to get into a OMP today but it was one that runs a urgent care type place and they didnt' want to see me because of the type of problems I have and wanted me to see my PCP.  I told them I had another even worse migraine last night that had both sides of my face paralized and it was starting to affect my swallowing.  I was actually on my way to the ER when the movement started coming back ( I think the medication had started kicking in after 4 hrs, lol) so I had my husband bring me home to watch me.  I guess my worse fear is that drs are gonna think I am drug hunting or crazy.  I take the pain medicine only when I really really need to.  I very seldom go in for a shot, I try to handle the pain w relaxation and rest.  I think I have had 2 in the last 3 months and have actually turned one down from my PCP.  I don't like to take it if I don't absolutely have to, I dont' like the way it makes me feel.  So I definitely am NOT drug hunting. lol.  I just want to feel normal again, if I can.  I am starting wonder if that will ever happen.  I also had 'acute right maxillary sinus disease' according to my mri 4 days after my last day worked.  A couple of weeks later after being off work, I saw a ENT (not knowing about this being on the MRI, but hoping my problem was a sinus problem), he did a CAT scan even though he said it was not my sinuses.  He said the neuro would want one done if we hadn't done it or would try to blame it on my sinuses (he is very trustworthy, I know him).  It showed nothing of the sinus disease.  HMMMM!  I have tried to find a toxicologist to see how much was absorbed through my skin and if it caused damage how much.  I have had no luck.  All I have been able to find are forensic toxicologists and obviously I'm not dead, yet.  I say that because sometimes I feel like slowly I am.  I use to work 10 hours a day at a job that was very physical on my feet.  Now I can barely load the dishwasher or clean a room at my house.  All this in 3 months. Did you have all this problem getting a diagnosis or was yours pretty apparent?
I used to work in the body shop business some years ago when I developed occupational asthma and was forced to leave that environment.
There was a female secretary that worked in the body shop office that was located inside the shop area.  Even though there was a separate building for painting, some painting was performed in the repair shop.
I didn’t link it at the time but when paint was sprayed in the repair shop the secretary would develop a migraine headache.  The pain was so great someone had to drive her home.  She finally got to the point she could not longer work and had to leave her job at the body shop.  I have done research on my exposure and discovered headaches could be associated with exposure to automotive paints as it is being applied.
I later learned that she started work as secretary in another area body shop where all paint work was performed in a building designated for only paint operations and worked there many years without complications.
I hope this information was of help to you.
I am currently having an episode similiar to yours, i use too work with very powerful chemicals fumes and smoke, i believe by inhaling them it did damage to my perception meaning i dont see life or anything the same how i use too. And i have a question for you,, has your memory or ways of thinking have they been altered by you and working with your paint?