my grandson have started the apprenticeship with TAFE as painter.
The paint fumes he is going to inhale on daily bases is my huge concern. He is 16 years of age!
Would you kindly shed some data on this topic.
Paint Fumes can cause problems if you don't take the proper precautions. well ventilated workspace or a resperator. his company should have some type of saftey policy or precedures in place to avoid the short and long term effects and you could probably get that info from them personally.
How To Reduce Risks- Here are 3 practical ways to avoid prolonged exposure and the acute and long-term health effects paint fumes can cause.
Ventilate Properly--Opening windows and doors to move air through the space will prevent fumes from building up to a toxic level. Be careful that ventilating does not create too much of a draft and cause unwanted particles to stick to and dry on the painted surface.
Place a box fan in the window that pulls air out of the room. Leave this on throughout the painting and overnight to fully exhaust any lingering fumes. Close off the heating and air conditioning ducts when you do this so that you are not heating or cooling the room that is being painted.
Use Paints with Fewer Petrochemicals--Petrochemicals, as the name suggests, are made from petroleum and natural gas. Paints with high levels of petrochemicals contain volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) which with high and prolonged exposure can cause cancer in humans.
Oil-based paints contain approximately 93% parts per gallon of petrochemicals while water-based latex paints contain only 15%. Explore the newer types of paint available to consumers now. They contain drastically fewer petrochemicals and are labeled as low-VOC paint.
Painting with a lower level of toxicity will greatly reduce your exposure to hazard. These paints not only make your paint project look good, but greatly reduce the smell and problematic symptoms associated regular paint.
Remove Paint Fumes with a Carbon-Based Air Purifier--Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) contained in paint such as benzene, formaldehyde, toluene, and xylene are such a potent pollutant to your indoor air quality. This is because they evaporate so easily into the air, and once the space is painted these chemicals are launched from a huge surface area of walls and ceilings. But even after the paint has dried it often continues to emit hazardous chemicals into your air.
Using an air purifier that contains a carbon-based filter that has an additive that is specifically designed to trap volatile organic chemicals is one of the best steps you can take towards protecting you and your family against the ongoing hazards of paint fumes.
How To Tell If He Is Affected- Low Levels When you're exposed to low levels of exhaust fumes containing carbon monoxide, you will experience symptoms similar to those of the flu or food poisoning. You may find yourself short of breath, slightly nauseous or with a mild headache. If you get away from the vehicle or exhaust filled area, you will likely start to feel better. However, continuous exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can cause long-term damage to your health. Moderate Levels When you're exposed to moderate levels of carbon monoxide, you will experience headaches, vertigo, nausea and light headedness. Getting some fresh air will usually alleviate these symptoms. But if the symptoms persist for an extended amount of time and are left untreated, you can die from moderate levels of carbon monoxide poisoning. High Levels If you are exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide from exhaust fumes, you can die within minutes. Additional Symptoms You may exhibit additional symptoms from mild or moderate carbon monoxide poisoning. Aside from headaches, nausea, shortness of breath, and vertigo, you may also experience impaired judgment, fatigue, pains in your chest or stomach, confusion, depression, anxiety, vomiting, or fainting. You may even suffer from symptoms as severe as memory or walking problems, hallucinations or seizures. Treatment
Read more: Symptoms of Exhaust Fumes | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6945869_symptoms-exhaust-fumes.html#ixzz1DRYTA2qp
While all professions are honorable, the lifetime exposure to solvents involved in this profession nis not a good thing. There is no such thing as a completely safe solvent, nor is there a means to properly vent workplaces.
While the risk is reasonable, there are many other jobs in this world that pay well and are satisfactory.
As far as an "apprenticeship", these are usually means to restrict job entry.
I would suggest another profession. I am a bit biased as I have two cousins who were bridge painters and died of solvent-induced malignancies before they retired.
There is a risk in just about every profession. If he follows proper procedure then he should be fine. I use to paint houses for a living and it has saved me lots..... of money to know how to paint a house correctly and make it look professional without paying thousands of dollars, plus i have made some really good money here and there. If you take procautions, like you would with anything else you do, then you should be fine.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.