Occupational Health & Safety Community
sickness from paint fumes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

sickness from paint fumes

I had to leave work for a few days due to becoming ill from paint they used, it was mercury paint corp,double gloss industrial grade.since then I stil have head achs and just don't feel right , my lungs feel as if they are on fire sometimes, I was told a year ago I have miniares which has something to do with the inner ear . will these symtoms (symptoms) go away or should I go get some different type of testing , the place of work could not provid me with a safty data sheet on this product.
  Any help with this would be great ..thank you
II am not going to diminish your experience. I myself have had to be hospitalized due to exposure to chemicals and the headaches and after effects can be discomforting.

That being said, a one-time exposure to a toxic substance from an over-the-counter paint is unlikely to have long-term effects. Nor is there any special "test" to take. Nor is there any special "treatment", other than time.

As far as "not providing you with the msds, they are required to by law."  If you make a fuss, you can probably count on termination. It is essentially meaningless to obtain this information, unless you are planning litigation. Despite the word "Mercury" in the paint company name no paint used in the United States contains mercury.

It is possible you have other lung problems that were simply exacerbated by the one-time exposure.

I am sorry you recieved this exposure. Unfortunately, contractors often employ unskilled help to employ solvents and performing painting.

I am reasonably certain you will return to normal with no long-lasting problems.
I was exposed to industrial paint fumes for two days.And now i am at home with hedache,body pain,mostly my back muscles,eyes feel tired and dizziness.I am an electrician and all of this was caused by not following OSHA safety rules so they complete the job in less time.We cant say its not going to damage you. It all depends of each person inmune system.When you smell paint fumes you are entitled to drop dead.It can olly take 5 min.The caregiver222 must be a contractor
No, I'm not a contractor, and I am not going to state there is no harm from a single exposure to a toxic chemical. It is my opinion (an army of one) that a single exposure is unlikely to have long-term adverse effects. To put things in perspective every single drink of an alcoholic beverage causes destruction of thousands of brain cells, but people get drunk every weekend.

I am also not stating that improper ventilation is dangerous and that I do not approve of violation of OSHA rules.

That being said, when one is exposed to such a situation, the answer can be summed up in two words: GO HOME. No job is worth your life.
  To stop all discrepancies check the internet and punch this sentence.CAN PAINT FUMES EXPOSURE MAKE ME SICK. and all tour questions will be ensered
The answer to the question "can paint frumes make me sick" is "obviously".

The second larger question is: "Will permanant damage result?"

And furthermore the third question is: "Are there any treatments that will reverse the damage?"

The answer to the question of permamant damage is "up in the air." The measure of toxicity for substances is the so-called LD50, which is rather meaningless. It depends upon the toxicity of the substance, generally correlated with the ability to produce free radicals, and the duration of exposure.

The answer to the third question is, no, at least not within the realm of conventional medicine as administered by the A.M.A. protocols.

Initially, high doses of vitamin C can scavange radicals, but the damage from chemicals stems in part from their corrosive and neurotoxic nature.

It is thought (and the thinking is controversial) that the human body is resilient, with many redundancies, and can sustain quite a lot of damage.

So the question "Can paint fumes make me sick" is meaningless. It is a "how many angels are on the head of a pin" question.

The answer is to minimize exposure and not be around such fumes, even at the cost of your job.

And my second bit of advice is not to worry about things about you can do nothing whatsoever. The chances of demonstrating damage from a single exposure is virtually non-existent according to existing case law (stare decisis).

You are right.It depends on the kind of toxicity.I know becouse i work in a shipyard and when you are inside the ship, the only thing you can do is keep quiet and forget about it.That is for people that are afraid of loosing a job.I already have a case ,like a friend that used to work here.He got exposed to this fumes and they had to retire him for life,HE is only 26 years old.Forget about the big words and think if the damage is to come today or tomorrow.I know about people that drop dead in 3 hrs. just by smelling this fumes.THERES PROOF.The problem is that the big guys can pay for human life.
It depends on the paint. Latex is ok. The oil bases are ok once in a blue moon. Some of the
industrial stuff can kill you if it's a closed area and you can't get out once you get dizzy and begin to heave. For the most part you will recover
fine within 3 months. It's alot worse for you if
it's raining outside and the product is oil. Once
you get sick from a paint or chemical, stay away
from all chemicals after that. Try taking 1000mg
of vitamin c a day for 2 weeks. I'm not a doctor
I've just been through it.
Update - it has been over a year since I was exposed and I am still sick , headachs , light headed , some times still have breathing trouble and forget things all the time! I still go to work and tough it out for now , no one can fix what has been done to me ! I wish this on no one , if you see your employer painting , check the warnig label and force them to follow it or you will end up like me and you will never be normal again. This will hurt your job performance and your family.
Since this was posted it has come to light I was having a reation to the solvents used in the paint , I was mis diagnosed prior to this finding the symptoms are very close , I had anoughter reation when I was near the paint , I am stuck with head achs everyday , eye problems ect , so don't beleive anyone if they try to tell you the paint fumes are safe .I have been sick over a year and no one person cares what caused it only I am now missing work , the EPA and workers right groups are worthless and I may end up losing my career .
How are you doing now? Any improvement with your condition? I am suffering the same problems-Headaches, eye pressure pain and burning sensation from simple DIY spray paint exposure 8 months ago.. not enough proper ventilation, and I was only wearing a dust Mask..Its an awful day to day affliction. Was just wondering if you got any better over time?
I was told I have toxic encephalopathy , I have the memory of a sixty year old and most likly will never be the same, head achs everyday, some days I feel sick all day. I will work for as long as I can, can not even sue the state was told due to it being workers comp . New york state does not care....
I'm feeling pain in my left lung after 2 years of working in a bad ventilated area. Don't know what to do. Cause I don't want to leave my job. But at the same time I don't think any job that exposes anybody to health risk is not worth anyone's life. Hope you get better and I don't know if there is any solution to this health problems.
  I started painting back in the early 1980's where the rules and types of paints were not regulated like they are today. I have noticed through the years of working with these different products and chemicals  that I get winded fast and majorly it seem that my mind and memory has diminished to where I have a hard time carrying a normal conversation with family or co-workers. I'm doing the best I can to not let this be noticeable but seems to be getting worse. there's got to be a way to be compensated for the use of these products through big industry. I feel that its getting harder to push my self and in a world and work force that relies on having common sense you need to be sharp for safety not only to your self but every one around you. I have a great family with 4 great kids that are definitely counting on dad to support them. Lets name this like the NFL dose and say this is no different than what they suffer and call a concussion or past job related injuries that have and are harming my and possibly your golden years. I'm looking for a good Attorney that understand how this has effected lives of good citizens that have done there best to live normal and support there families  Thx Cole col-***@****