Occupational Health & Safety Community
sickness from paint fumes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to occupational health & safety, blood borne exposures (needle sticks), chemical spills exposure, confined spaces, ergonomics, fire safety and exposure, industrial hygiene, hazardous material handling and shipping, indoor air quality, workplace injuries, noise-induced hearing loss, occupational asthma, personal protective equipment, safe lifting techniques, and workers compensation.

sickness from paint fumes

I had to leave work for a few days due to becoming ill from paint they used, it was mercury paint corp,double gloss industrial grade.since then I stil have head achs and just don't feel right , my lungs feel as if they are on fire sometimes, I was told a year ago I have miniares which has something to do with the inner ear . will these symtoms (symptoms) go away or should I go get some different type of testing , the place of work could not provid me with a safty data sheet on this product.
  Any help with this would be great ..thank you
II am not going to diminish your experience. I myself have had to be hospitalized due to exposure to chemicals and the headaches and after effects can be discomforting.

That being said, a one-time exposure to a toxic substance from an over-the-counter paint is unlikely to have long-term effects. Nor is there any special "test" to take. Nor is there any special "treatment", other than time.

As far as "not providing you with the msds, they are required to by law."  If you make a fuss, you can probably count on termination. It is essentially meaningless to obtain this information, unless you are planning litigation. Despite the word "Mercury" in the paint company name no paint used in the United States contains mercury.

It is possible you have other lung problems that were simply exacerbated by the one-time exposure.

I am sorry you recieved this exposure. Unfortunately, contractors often employ unskilled help to employ solvents and performing painting.

I am reasonably certain you will return to normal with no long-lasting problems.
I was exposed to industrial paint fumes for two days.And now i am at home with hedache,body pain,mostly my back muscles,eyes feel tired and dizziness.I am an electrician and all of this was caused by not following OSHA safety rules so they complete the job in less time.We cant say its not going to damage you. It all depends of each person inmune system.When you smell paint fumes you are entitled to drop dead.It can olly take 5 min.The caregiver222 must be a contractor
No, I'm not a contractor, and I am not going to state there is no harm from a single exposure to a toxic chemical. It is my opinion (an army of one) that a single exposure is unlikely to have long-term adverse effects. To put things in perspective every single drink of an alcoholic beverage causes destruction of thousands of brain cells, but people get drunk every weekend.

I am also not stating that improper ventilation is dangerous and that I do not approve of violation of OSHA rules.

That being said, when one is exposed to such a situation, the answer can be summed up in two words: GO HOME. No job is worth your life.
  To stop all discrepancies check the internet and punch this sentence.CAN PAINT FUMES EXPOSURE MAKE ME SICK. and all tour questions will be ensered
The answer to the question "can paint frumes make me sick" is "obviously".

The second larger question is: "Will permanant damage result?"

And furthermore the third question is: "Are there any treatments that will reverse the damage?"

The answer to the question of permamant damage is "up in the air." The measure of toxicity for substances is the so-called LD50, which is rather meaningless. It depends upon the toxicity of the substance, generally correlated with the ability to produce free radicals, and the duration of exposure.

The answer to the third question is, no, at least not within the realm of conventional medicine as administered by the A.M.A. protocols.

Initially, high doses of vitamin C can scavange radicals, but the damage from chemicals stems in part from their corrosive and neurotoxic nature.

It is thought (and the thinking is controversial) that the human body is resilient, with many redundancies, and can sustain quite a lot of damage.

So the question "Can paint fumes make me sick" is meaningless. It is a "how many angels are on the head of a pin" question.

The answer is to minimize exposure and not be around such fumes, even at the cost of your job.

And my second bit of advice is not to worry about things about you can do nothing whatsoever. The chances of demonstrating damage from a single exposure is virtually non-existent according to existing case law (stare decisis).

You are right.It depends on the kind of toxicity.I know becouse i work in a shipyard and when you are inside the ship, the only thing you can do is keep quiet and forget about it.That is for people that are afraid of loosing a job.I already have a case ,like a friend that used to work here.He got exposed to this fumes and they had to retire him for life,HE is only 26 years old.Forget about the big words and think if the damage is to come today or tomorrow.I know about people that drop dead in 3 hrs. just by smelling this fumes.THERES PROOF.The problem is that the big guys can pay for human life.
It depends on the paint. Latex is ok. The oil bases are ok once in a blue moon. Some of the
industrial stuff can kill you if it's a closed area and you can't get out once you get dizzy and begin to heave. For the most part you will recover
fine within 3 months. It's alot worse for you if
it's raining outside and the product is oil. Once
you get sick from a paint or chemical, stay away
from all chemicals after that. Try taking 1000mg
of vitamin c a day for 2 weeks. I'm not a doctor
I've just been through it.
Update - it has been over a year since I was exposed and I am still sick , headachs , light headed , some times still have breathing trouble and forget things all the time! I still go to work and tough it out for now , no one can fix what has been done to me ! I wish this on no one , if you see your employer painting , check the warnig label and force them to follow it or you will end up like me and you will never be normal again. This will hurt your job performance and your family.
Since this was posted it has come to light I was having a reation to the solvents used in the paint , I was mis diagnosed prior to this finding the symptoms are very close , I had anoughter reation when I was near the paint , I am stuck with head achs everyday , eye problems ect , so don't beleive anyone if they try to tell you the paint fumes are safe .I have been sick over a year and no one person cares what caused it only I am now missing work , the EPA and workers right groups are worthless and I may end up losing my career .
How are you doing now? Any improvement with your condition? I am suffering the same problems-Headaches, eye pressure pain and burning sensation from simple DIY spray paint exposure 8 months ago.. not enough proper ventilation, and I was only wearing a dust Mask..Its an awful day to day affliction. Was just wondering if you got any better over time?
I was told I have toxic encephalopathy , I have the memory of a sixty year old and most likly will never be the same, head achs everyday, some days I feel sick all day. I will work for as long as I can, can not even sue the state was told due to it being workers comp . New york state does not care....
I'm feeling pain in my left lung after 2 years of working in a bad ventilated area. Don't know what to do. Cause I don't want to leave my job. But at the same time I don't think any job that exposes anybody to health risk is not worth anyone's life. Hope you get better and I don't know if there is any solution to this health problems.
  I started painting back in the early 1980's where the rules and types of paints were not regulated like they are today. I have noticed through the years of working with these different products and chemicals  that I get winded fast and majorly it seem that my mind and memory has diminished to where I have a hard time carrying a normal conversation with family or co-workers. I'm doing the best I can to not let this be noticeable but seems to be getting worse. there's got to be a way to be compensated for the use of these products through big industry. I feel that its getting harder to push my self and in a world and work force that relies on having common sense you need to be sharp for safety not only to your self but every one around you. I have a great family with 4 great kids that are definitely counting on dad to support them. Lets name this like the NFL dose and say this is no different than what they suffer and call a concussion or past job related injuries that have and are harming my and possibly your golden years. I'm looking for a good Attorney that understand how this has effected lives of good citizens that have done there best to live normal and support there families  Thx Cole col-***@****  
i have painted with all types of paints for 30 yrs and have all sorts of problems ........ I painted with oil base paint all day and it is 7:18pm and i can still smell it ....I have lots of problems and i know paint has caused it all  ...  i cant get doctors to listen    ...   i need help ?

pm

You can't force the company to do anything.  They all seem to be allowed to expose people to fumes during work hours.  Press the issue and you would be fired.  Of course that will not be the reason they give, they're not stupid.  It can be cut backs or anything else.  Fumes affect everyone differently and everybody's immune systems are different.  Nobody should paint during work hours and fumes should be down when a person has to go back to the office.  I've seen comments about drinking killing brain cells, and I don't drink by the way, but once again, that is THAT person's choice to do that to their body, this is being forced on people to breathe for 8 hrs a day & remodeling for months at a time.  Stain, varnish, paint, sawdust, sanding, etc.  
I came to this site through a search on toxicity of paint and I've followed the thread.  My sister developed a very serious neurological disease after spending a couple weeks staining an outdoor deck.  We are trying to figure out what triggered her disease, and the staining is one of the possible triggers we've identified.  As my sister's disease is potentially fatal, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to save her.  

Reading your post, I have some suggestions to help your health.  The difference between people who do fine with exposure and those who do not is most likely the ability to excrete toxins through the liver.  So, go watch "minding your mitochondria" on a ted talk as that will give you some nutritional advice that will ensure that you have all components of diet to maximize your liver potential.  

Your brain is 60% fat and you need good fat for your brain.  This probably is contrary to everything you've learned, but fat bombs made with coconut oil are good for your brain.  Take 1/2 cup coconut oil and just melt it, like 10-15 seconds in a microwave.  Add 6 heaping teaspoons of raw cocao (most is cooked which kills enzymes.  Regular coco will be fine, but raw would up the nutritional value).  Add raw honey to taste.  Chop walnuts fairly fine.  So, put about a tablespoon in small cupcake papers using about 1/2 of the mix, freeze for a couple minutes to harden.  Add 1/2 teaspoon of the walnuts to each and then top with another tablespoon of the coconut chocolate mixture.  Store in the fridge and eat a couple of these each day.

Stop eating all processed oils as they are very damaging and may contain more of the solvents that have harmed you in the first place.  They actually use solvents to extract oil from seeds and trace amounts can be left, and the high heat for processing creates trans fats.  These oils cause inflammation and chronic inflammation is bad for you.  Stick to cold pressed olive oil for anything low temperature and use coconut or avocado oil for cooking.  Krill oil is the highest in omega 3s and for sure you have too much omega 6, so take a krill oil supplement.  Flax seed oil is also high in omega 3 and has some neuro protective properties so go ahead and mix it equal amounts with olive oil for salad dressings.  A 1:1 mixture of flaxseed to olive oil is almost a perfect balance of omega 3:6 fats.

Gluten in wheat and casein in milk can damage the lining of your stomach, especially if you've had problems like you describe.  Do your best to eliminate them.  You need butyric acid in your colon, which healthy gut bacteria produce when you have lots of fiber in your diet.  It is also present in butter.  Use butter over margarine for colon health.  You can get rid of the casein in butter by searching how to make ghee.

Read books such as Grain Brain, the Wahls Protocol, and Meals that Heal Inflammation.