Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
12 weeks pregnant, been exposed to SDS and beta mercaptoethanol, effect...

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

12 weeks pregnant, been exposed to SDS and beta mercaptoethanol, effect pregnancy?

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I've been exposed to SDS(lauryl solfate) and beta mercaptoethanol twice, how would it affect my baby?

i did not directly inhale it, but rather smelled it as i walked by and pippetted some out. i also wear a lab coat and protectice gloves.

K Elms
Avatar_dr_m_tn

SDS usually refers to sodium dodecyl sulfate and there are no known adverse health effects to children in utero (babies developing in the uterus). However, that does not necessarily mean that SDS is safe to inhale when pregnant.

Regarding beta mercaptoethanol, there is some evidence that it is toxic to rapidly dividing cells--this means cells that are growing rapidly.

You should look for MSDSs (Material Safety Data Sheets) in your work place and get a better understanding of what chemicals that you are working with and what the potential health effects may be.

If you are working in a laboratory, it is a best practice that you have a reproductive exam--this is an exam that usually is provided by your employer's occupational health provider and the provider will discuss your pregnancy and any concerns that you may have about your work environment and the risks to you and your developing child.

In general, we usually recommend that women who are pregnant (or are considering being pregnant) avoid inhalation of solvents.

MSDS website: http://hazard.com/msds/

What is your job?  Does your employer have an occupational health provider?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.