Animal bite, pls reply ASAP. Tetanus shot needed?
I've been out of town this past week visiting a good friend of mine.  This morning as I was eating breakfast, his cat came up to me, and out of nowhere, bit my leg.  It was a small puncture wound, but left a visible mark.  I'm worried about possibly getting tetanus. I had my last tetanus shot 7 years ago.  Do I need a booster?  I'm a 32 year old female.

Thanks,
Cynthia
In general, in cases such as yours, if you have not had a tetanus in the last five years, then, usually is recommended that you have a tetanus booster.

- Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.