Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Arm and Shoulder Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Arm and Shoulder Pain

Since getting the fu shot in October 2010, I've had not only the flu symptoms for 3 days but my arm was very painful as well.  In November I experienced pain in the arm and shoulder only to get worse with neck pain as well.  Two orthopedic doctors cannot find anything wrong even after an MRI.  They did however admit to having other patients complaining of arm and shoulder pain after getting the flu shot and, discovering rotator cuff tears.  Could my pain be a resulf of the flu shot?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

After receiving the influenza vaccination in October, how long was your arm painful? Do you recall where on your shoulder/upper arm that you received the vaccine?

And, after the injection in October, did your arm remain sore or were you "pain free" until November? Do you recall any events that may have caused the pain that you experienced in November?

General information for you:

There are case reports in the medical literature that describe persistent shoulder and upper arm symptoms after vaccinations. If the injection was given too high in the shoulder region, it is possible that the subdeltoid bursa can become injured and inflamed. Typical symptoms of subdeltoid bursitis include discomfort that would be worse with arm activities over your head and with the arm from your side (above 90 degrees)

An improper injection into the subdeltoid bursa can result in an inflammatory response (inflammation of the subdeltoid bursa = bursitis).

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
After the injection in October, my arm did remain sore until November.  I don't recall where the vaccine was given but it seembed to be between the elbow and shoulder.  There were no other events that might have caused the pain.  However, I do suffer from fibromyalgia from time to time and thought the flu vaccine could have exacerbated the ailment but, this is a pain I've never experienced in the past as it is quite different.  The pain travels anywhere from my elbow to my neck but mainly in the arm and shoulder.