Asbestos exposure during home inspection
Hi Dr. Parks,

My husband and I are in process of purchasing our next home.  It was built in 1957, and the home inspection took place yesterday.  When it came time for the crawlspace inspection, my husband went down with the inspector just to put eyes on it before we purchased it.  As they started to "crawl", the home inspector spotted friable asbestos that was used as a pipe insulator (the home uses a boiler/oil combo for heat).  My husband was only down there for a couple of minutes and then vacated after hearing that.  Since then, he has been worried sick that he had an unsafe exposure.  Had anyone known that was down there, he certainly wouldn't have gone.  Everything I have read says that he should be fine since it was such a short exposure time, but we're looking for reassurance.  He's had no exposure related symptoms other than worry.

We've thrown out the clothes that he wore and he put the bag they were in as well as the shoes outside.  Is that sufficient?

Thank you!
S

I agree with your assessment of risk.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.