Asbestosis and sleep apnea
My husband was diagnosed with asbestosis two years ago.  Recently he has been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea.  Although I have found medical journals which link idopathic pulmonary fibrosis with obstructive sleep apnea, is there any link between asbestosis and sleep apnea?

There is no link or association between asbestosis and sleep apnea that I am aware of. However, if a person were to have significant interstitial fibrosis as a result of asbestosis, it is possible that this level of fibrosis could complicate sleep apnea. I say this because of the known association that you mention above with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and sleep apnea.

•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.