Complicated needlestick....
I am an RN and push versed and fentanyl. I draw up the medication in the syringe with an 18 gauge needle and leave needle on with the cap. I then remove the needle and push the medication with the syringe through IV tubing.

I went to give a patient another dose of medication through the y-site of IV tubing and when I grabbed the syringe the cap fell off the needle and the needle hit the palm of my hand. I did not have any visible blood, but there is a small tiny reddened site.I washed my hands afterward.The needle itself never touched the patient, blood, or any bodily fluid. However, the IV back flowed blood and blood did reach the y site I was pushing the  medication through. I reattached the needle on the syringe multiple times after pushing through the y-site of the IV tubing until I stuck myself.

The patient did not have a known history or HIV or hepatitis. I called the blood exposure hotline at work and they said that I was fine and did not need further testing since the needle itself did not come into contact with any fluid. My concern is  that the syringe the  needle was attached to was connected to IV tubing that did have blood in it. Am I at a risk? or is the exposure hotline correct? I just want to be safe. I am pregnant and just worried.

Based on the information that you shared in your posting (source patient negative for Hepatitis and HIV, immediate washing of your hands, epidermal/dermal puncture, the absence of contact of the needle with potentially infectious material), the event that you describe is categorized as extremely low risk (if not close to zero risk).

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.