Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
FLUT SHOT> 2 months> Shoulder Nerve Pain STILL

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

First off, I want to thank you in advance & ANY advice would help me...I don't have insurance and that is why I am unable to see a physician/neurologist.

I read the post that was similar to mine posted in 2008 and replied back by Dr. Parks.  I am extremely concerned about my situation.

I am an intern at a hospital and signed a disclosure to receive the Flu Shot(w/H1N1). I received the injection in my right deltoid(near the intertubercular groove of my humerus) about 2 months ago. I never got the "flu" or sick from the injection, although I felt soreness the first week. After that, the pain developed into almost a Nerve pain when I lift my arm all the way up to the ceiling or flex my deltoid. It feels like when I move my arm up and inward, there is a great deal of pain.

I don't know what to do and I am scared that I will have permanent nerve damage or end up paralyzed? What is possible and what is not? I tried consulting the hospital/nurse that injected me and they said that I signed a disclosure and pretty much could care less. Recently, I've been working it out while I experience horrible pain doing so in hopes that it will possibly help. When I press on the area of the injection towards the outside(twds scapula) of my deltoid, I can feel pain as well.

Please advise....is this serious and what should be my next step? I am very concerned. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

As you have read in similar postings, it is theoretically and anatomically possible for the sub-deltoid bursa of the shoulder to be affected by a vaccine that is placed too high in the deltoid. If the sub-deltoid bursa is inflamed, patients typically experience pain and discomfort with raising the arm, especially above shoulder level. The discomfort is usually characterized as "sharp" with the arm is raised and as a "dull ache" when the arm is at rest. If you were very active in the gym before this, it is possible that with decreased activity, you may began to fell deconditioned.

In general, for sub-deltoid bursitis, recommendations are for individuals to avoid activities overhead and to perform very light resistance rotator cuff strengthening exercises (http://www.livestrong.com/video/4695-rotator-cuff-exercise-with-resistance/)

In response to your question about "cracking", many joints "pop" and "crack"--this can be normal especially when the "popping" and "cracking" is not associated with pain.  For the shoulder, we get concerned when there is "popping" and "cracking" that represents instability--or the ball part of the shoulder joint slipping out of the socket part of the joint. An ill-placed vaccination could not be the primary cause of instability. Instead, after a misplaced vaccination, sub-deltoid bursitis can lead to decreased use of the shoulder (because of pain) and atrophy of the stabilizing muscles and tendons of the shoulder. The weakening of tendons and muscles around the shoulder joint may result in more "popping" and "cracking" of the joint.

So, it is very important to maintain strength of the rotator cuff tendons and the stabilizing muscles of the shoulder (see the above link).

How old are you? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? What sorts of sports did/do you play?

I hope that this response is helpful.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.