Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Fatigue Management

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Fatigue Management

Fatigue management is becoming a growing area of interest and research in Australia mainly due to the mining boom. As it becomes more a topic of interest this can only benefit other workers such police, nurses and other shift workers. That's why I started my blog: http://fatiguemanagementblog.wordpress.com/
so we could share experiences. Would be great to hear from anyone on how they manage their fatigue from varying shifts.
Tags: fatigue management
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your posting. Indeed, fatigue management is a growing area of concern for employees, employers, and policy makers. And, industries from all sectors are interested including mining, aviation, health care, transportation, and the military.

With colleagues at Harvard, we are holding a symposium entitled:

Sleep and Shift Work: Optimizing Productivity and Health Management in the 24/7 Global Economy in Boston, MA on September 27-28, 2012.

The link: https://ccpe.sph.harvard.edu/programs.cfm?CSID=IPHM0000&pg=cluster&CLID=1

We would appreciate it if you forward the link and the program announcement to interested folks in your country.

Thank you again for your posting and we at Medhelp.org look forward to the on-going dialogue about this important topic.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Hi. I am a student. My major is about Occupational health and safety. That is, this topic is very interesting.  Although I do not have experience to manage fatigue yet, I give some thing as reference if you want. I have some points as suggestion as follows: The first, Should be make more discuss between the employers and employees to get opinions from the employees which know the most clearly the situation, risks from the workplace as well. The second, schedule of the office should be fit  between the capacity of the workers and works which are their responsibility.