Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Forearm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Forearm pain

Hello, I noticed for the past few weeks I have pain on the outer part of my forearm from right above my wrist a few inches to about halfway down my hand. It isn't a deep pain, more like the skin is sensitive almost feels like it is burned.Iit is only on my right side which is my dominant hand and I am a computer user almost all day. Doesn't hurt to pick up anything or move my wrist around. Any ideas? Maybe carpal tunnel?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

First, the location of your symptoms on your wrist and forearm eliminate the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome.

One possibility is that by resting your elbow and forearm on a desk or workstation, your ulnar nerve is being compressed and is inflamed. The ulnar nerve tracks very close to the surface of the skin at the elbow and is easily compressed when resting the elbow on a hard surface.

You can google for "ulnar nerve" (using the image tab) to view a picture or drawing of the anatomical distribution of the ulnar nerve. Often times, the 4th and 5th fingers become a little numb when the ulnar nerve is injured or inflamed.

The best way to improve your symptoms is to first, avoid resting your elbow on hard surfaces; second, confirm the diagnosis by being seen by a healthcare provider.

If the nerve is injured or inflamed, it may be weeks before your symptoms are completely resolved. Nerves heal very slowly.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case