Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Foul Smelling Stool - in the Workplace.

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Foul Smelling Stool - in the Workplace.

I have short bowel syndrome and malabsorption as a result of surgery 12 years ago.  Since then I have always had very foul smelling bowel movements.  Bad enough that my ex-husband decided he could not live in the house with me anymore, and bad enough that my co-workers complain about it everytime I go to the washroom at work.  I have had to endure much embarrassment and ridicule over the years as a result of this, and no one seems to understand that this is due to a medical problem.  Is there anything I can take that will help alievate the smell in the washroom.  I am afraid of losing my job because of this.  The workplace did install the most powerful exhaust fan available in the bathroom, but it does little to help.  The problem is the smell is not contained to the bathroom, the smell seems to radiate throughout the entire house and workplace and lasts for hours and hours.  At times when I use the bathroom at home in the mornings before going to work, and I turn on the fan in the bathroom and close the bathroom door, but when I come home from work at 4:00 PM and walk in the house the smell is still in the house as soon as I enter, it's horrible and the complaints at work are getting worse and I don't want to lose my job, please let me know if there is anything I can do or take that will reduce or eliminate this problem.  When I discussed this with my doctor his response was, "well I can't give you back a stomach of your bowels".  Not helpful.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Unfortunately, there are no medications that I can recommend. You may have or may not have found that over the years that there are certain foods that may increase or decrease the severity of the problem that you describe in your posting. You might have found that high protein and high fat foods lead to a greater degree of odor. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with a nutritionist or registered dietician.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.