Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Fumes from cooking bacon hazardous?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fumes from cooking bacon hazardous?

This is going to sound weird, but I was exposed for the better part of 4 years at work to the fumes of cooking bacon and sausage.  The office in which I worked was physically located right next to the kitchen that cooked a LOT of bacon and sausage every day, in addition to a LOT of deep-fat fried foods.  The fumes (smell of bacon, mostly, but also anything else that was cooked) seemed to have been vented directly into my office area, instead of to the outside.  After a few years of exposure, I noticed I'd get nauseous, migraine headaches, be unable to concentrate, and just couldn't function.   An allergist diagnosed me with an allergy to PORK, but I don't think that's the whole problem.

Someone mentioned that the kitchen in this building wasn't intended to be a "commercial" facility, cooking the volumes of food they cooked in there, and that the ventilation system was probably just inadequate.  Is that possible?  If so, how do I find out what the REQUIRED ventilation should have been for the foods and quantities they were cooking vs what the ventilation system actually WAS?

Thanks so much!