Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
HIV blood from work

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

HIV blood from work

I work in law enforcement and the other day at the hospital two hiv patients had been in a fight and had blood on thier hands and faces.  When I entered the room I used my forearm to open the door, I'm not sure if any blood was on the door.  I spoke with the parties and left.  When I got home I noticed a cut on the same forearm, I had a long sleeve shirt on at the time.  Was I at risk, do I need testing.
Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

The scenario that you describe does not warrant testing for you.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.