Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Improper Flu Shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Improper Flu Shot

I have been reading about an Improper Flu Shot (by Hoonman Mar 14, 2008 11:48 AM) I received my Flu shot on Nov 10th 2008.  I still have trouble lifting by arm from my side.  I have had 8 Cortizone patches and it has not helped. The pain is not in one place, it is between my shoulder and elbow. Shooting pain. I also can not get an answer from my doctors as to what to do next. This has now been 6 months!!!  Will this ever get better.  My shot was given to high.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

A couple questions for you before I provide my response.

How old are you?
Male or female?
Have you had prior injuries to your shoulder?
Have you had diagnostic imaging of your shoulder (x-rays, MRI, etc)?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
50 years old.  Female. No problems with that shoulder. No they never took x-Rays or any other tests.  Like the other person you were talking to they did not beleive that I was in pain.
This morning I was woke-up out of sound sleep.  I must have stretched with my bad arm.  The pain was so bad that I had to take a pain pill and miss a day of work. ( first day missed since I received the Flu shot)  I have made an appointment to see my Dr. tomorrow.  I beleive she will be giving me a cortizone shot.  Is there any thing else I should be asking.  I have a new granddaughter and I have trouble holding her.  I'm tired of being in pain!!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You might consider asking your physician to do an MRI prior to doing the cortisone injection. The MRI may not be necessary depending on your physician's findings on your physical exam.

Presumably, there are a couple possible causes of your pain: rotator cuff tendonitis, subdeltoid bursitis, mild adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder).

Best of luck and keep the questions coming.

~•~ Dr. Parks

Is the treatment for all three of these a Cortizone shot?  Or what are the different treatments
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes. Depending on the patient's history, the physical examination and the diagnosis, a corticosteriod ("cortisone") injection is an option for each of the above diagnoses.

~•~ Dr. Parks

Thank you for your advise.  Today they gave me an x-ray, it did not show them anything.  They are now sending me for an MRI.  They have also given me a referral to a sports Medicine Dr.  I finally feel as though I'm headed in the right direction.
My MRI showed that I have frozen shoulder.  They are sending me for an injection and back to therapy.  Has anyone ever been able to sue because of the complications of the flu shot?  The bills for tests and doctors are adding up fast.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Based on your diagnosis, the corticosteroid (cortisone) injection is a reasonable next step.

I am not familiar with the results of legal cases.

~•~ Dr. Parks