Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Large amount of asbestos exposure

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Large amount of asbestos exposure

Dear Dr. Park,

About 15 months ago, I was exposed to a large quantity of airborne asbestos. The immediate symptoms were sore in the lower rib areas, front and back, which lasted for about 2 weeks, and short of breath when I ate. I have been having other symptoms since then including short of breath, sore in the back, stomach bloating and itchy throat. I have been able to find fibers in my nose, and recently dead tissues in my mouth that contain fibers. I would like to know whether asbestos fibers I inhaled 15 months ago would still be able to come out of my lung? I did see a pulmonologist who did a number of lung functioning tests. The doctor thinks I am fine and should have low risks from the one time exposure even if it is a large amount. He also does not believe that I would still be breathing out asbestos fibers after all these months. Is it possible that the fibers I found in my nose and month came from my lung? I try to run daily and wonder if running will help breath out the fibers.

Thanks for your opinion.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

It is highly unlikely, if not impossible, that the fibers that you have found in your nose are related to the exposure that you describe 15 months ago.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.