Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Needle Stick

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Needle Stick
Hi, there. I'm hoping to get some expert advice.

I'm a surgical technology student. This Monday I was working with either a SH suture needle or an FSH needle, and before I know it, I feel a quick sting. It was on my left index finger. I believe I checked my glove. I don't believe there was a hole and there was no blood. Afterwards, I checked my hand and there were no puncture marks at all.

The patient was a cancer patient, so chances are HIV would have been in the paperwork.

I just don't know if I should be worried.

The nurse did not prescribe PEPs, and said I had virtually no chance. The problem is that I'm not positive that I didn't have a hole in my glove. Things happened so fast. It's been two days later and there is still no wound.

Do you have a specific question about your the event described in your posting?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Yes, Dr. Parks, thank you for answering.

My question is how concerned should I be in contracting HIV from my exposure. The other day, I found a little break in the skin. No scab. Just a bruise. Should I be concerned? I don't know if the lack of a scab and the tiny pin prick hole is indicative of whether the virus may have been exposed to my bloodstream or not.
Hello again,

Based on the information provided in your original posting, the exposure that you described is relatively low risk. The most important factors that determine risk are the HIV status of the source patient, the size of the needle, whether you were wearing gloves or not, the depth of puncture, whether or not you immediately cleaned the exposure site with soap and water. It is a best practice with needlesticks to report the exposure immediately, attempt to consent the source patient to be tested for HIV, Hepatitis B & C.

~ Dr. Parks