Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Occupational health & safety risks related to bleach inhalation

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

I would like to know what health and safety concerns are related to bleach inhalation for a person who works at institutional laundries that washes restaurant towels. The work environment is filled with a strong bleach smell. I understand that health impacts depend on many factors, such as concentration of the bleach and ventilation of the environment, etc. Unfortunately, I am unsure of the above factors. But, generally speaking, what possible adverse health effects may follow for a person who works at such a place? Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

As you mention in your original posting, health risk and health effects depend on many variables.

* Can you provide a bit more information about the work environment?
* Is there any "dry cleaning" of the laundry?
* Can you provide the name(s) of the products that are used for cleaning and bleaching the laundry?
* What kind of building do you work in? for example, is it well ventilated?
* Are you required to wear any protective clothing or equipment?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.