Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Paint toxic?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Paint toxic?

I will be renting a home.  The previous renters had at least 25 cans of auto body paint in his garage.  His entire house smells of this paint and chemicals.  What kind of exposure will I have when I go into the home in 2 wks.  He said in 2 weeks the smell will dissipate.  Worried about the smell and it getting into curtains and capet and our health.  The man lives with the strong smell and has been for a while.  I don't know how!!  I was in the house for 15 minutes and couldn't breath.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

It is difficult to say with certainty because different types of paints may have different chemical components.

However in general:

"Polyurethane-based paints are readily used in car industry owing to their outstanding technical features such as durability, color stability and resistance to abrasion, chemicals and weather extremes. The typical polyurethane paint system has two components: polyol with pigments, solvent and additives; and a second component containing the isocyanate(s) (hardener) in an appropriate solvent. The primer applied between the metal and the paint and the clear-coat applied on the paint can also contain polyurethanes." - Annals of Occupational Hygiene 2006 50(4):385-393

Vapors from the paints can be irritating to the eyes and upper respiratory tract (nose, mouth and throat).

Are you planning on removing the window treatments?

It is difficult know whether the odors will have dissipated after two weeks.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.