Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Please Help

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Please Help

Can I catch hepatitis B from a patient spitting in my face? I am worried because a little bit got in my eyes and in my mouth but I was able to get to a sink to spit and rinse my eyes. I have a family at home and scared of passing something like that to my kids. Thank you in advance.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Hep B is typically transmitted via sexual contact or exchange of bodily fluids containing blood. It is very unlikely that saliva would contain significant concentrations of the Hep B virus. If you work with patients for your job and are at risk for exposure to blood and bodily fluids, you should be offered the Hepatitis B vaccine by your employer (OSHA requirement).

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.