Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Possibility of HIV throough occupational exposure of nonintact skin
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possibility of HIV throough occupational exposure of nonintact skin

My question is regarding exposure to blood and risk of HIV in particular, but also HBV. My exposure was not actually a needlestick exposure, but rather I accidentally poked myself with a lancet while preparing to give a patient a fingerstick, then rubbed that same finger against a test strip that already had the patient's blood on it, and it was pretty saturated. I know that the HIV virus can not live for long outside of the body, but it had only been a few minutes since I had taken the sample that this occurred. Another concern rises from the fact that the patient is now deceased, so there is no way of knowing her HIV status, and I do not have access to medical records to find out this information anyways. However, I am concerned by the fact that she was an older lady, 61 years old, and she died from mantle cell lymphoma, which of course is a type of B-cell lymphoma, which I read that the HIV/AIDS patient is more susceptible to. So my concern is, let's just say that she WAS HIV positive or had AIDS, what would be my risk of contracting the virus through this type of exposure, considering that I had a fresh puncture wound on my finger? The possibility of becoming infected has really been concerning me, this incident happened just over 6 weeks ago, I just went 2 days ago to be tested and haven't yet received the results, but this possibility is causing me a great deal of concern and stress. Also, I know that a 6 week result is not conclusive, I just had to go ahead and do it for my own peace of mind, but how long should I wait to get a conclusive result? Thank you so much for your help.