Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Possible Serosanguineous fluid exposure

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Possible Serosanguineous fluid exposure

I have a exposure question. Work as a tech in an ER. I got exposed to Serosanguneous fluid on my check and part of lip. The amount was very small and My mouth was closed and I immediately scrub my face with soap and water. A nurse was with me when it happened and told me not to worry about it. I have no idea what the patients HIV or HEP C status was. I am worried that I should have worried more then what the nurse working with told me. It been almost 7 weeks now. I have had absolutely no signs or symptoms.. How high of a risk is it? Should I still get blood work?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Based on CDC guidelines, the exposure to the bodily fluids on your cheek and lip are categorized as a non-exposure assuming the following conditions are met:
1. The skin is intact without abrasions, lacerations
2. The exposure did not occur on a mucous membrane (that is, inside the lip)

If the following conditions are met, blood work is not recommended based on CDC guidelines.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/bbp/guidelines.html

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thanks Dr. Parks!