Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Pregnant truck driver

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Pregnant truck driver

Hi I am a truck driver I cart dangerous goods such as acids, pesticides, and flammable liquids. I advised my GP when finding out I was pregnant that I carry these types of loads an I can often come in contact with them as I have to physically touch the
the containers when loading my truck or breathing in the vapours which I try my best not to do but sometimes its impossible as I said I do have to move the conatiners into place once on my truck. My job is quite physical. I am only in the truck for around half hour before im out climbing on the back pushing these containers to the edge for the forklift to take off. These containers are around 120kgs. I weigh roughly 65kgs. The reason I am asking for advice is because I asked my GP if all this is ok to do while pregnant and that I wont be putting the baby at risk and I felt he didnt acknowledge the detail of what I told him because I sense to think Dangerous goods are harmful to humans so why not harmful to an unborn baby? All I wanting is confirmation so I can inform my boss I can no longer carry these dangerous goods and just carry the non dg containers. I hope all of this made sense as I have quickly written it inbetween unloading.  

Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Please follow-up your posting with a specific question for me to address.

Thank you.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.