Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Repeated bumping of head on refrigerator door

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

I cook a great deal and the refrigerator that I have has the freezer on top i.e.
you have to bend down to reach the food items in the non-freezer part.
I have hit my head doing this about 6 times in the last year. It's almost
always in the same place and even though it hurts only enough to make
me yell out in pain, but not enough to get a headache, the last time I did
it I began to feel a bit confused and dizzy, even though it was less hard
than other times.

Question: Is there a danger that I'm getting more damaged even though I never
get a headache?

And: Is the top of the head the worst part to hit (near the crown)?

How long will it take to feel normal again now since my brain was already screwed up
from hitting it a month ago? I have an exam coming up in a week.

I heard that anxiety and depression interfere with the chemicals that help]
you recover from head injury. Is this true?

Do they have special helmets for klutzes who cook?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes, repeated blows or injuries to the head can be quite dangerous. The extent to how dangerous depends on the severity of the injury. Injuries that result in a period of confusion or loss of consciousness are the most concerning.

From the description that you provided in your posting, the injuries appear to be relatively mild in severity.

In short, there is no "good" place for the head to be injured. Theoretically, there is the most protection (i.e. more bone) in the front part of the skull or the forehead.

While there are medications that are theoretically designed to increase levels of serotonin in the brain, scientist and health care providers do not yet fully understand how anti-depressant medications work. In general, the presence of anxiety and depression may complicate the recovery from any injury or illness.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.